cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell what Evidence is what Edition

I need to ensure that the correct application editions are tied to the appropriate evidence for my customer. How can I tell if the evidence is enterprise or standard?

Example: 

If I have an application of:

Exchange Server 2016 Standard

Should be tied to what evidence?

Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 Cumulative Update 17 ( This evidence does not specify it is enterprise or standard)

Thanks!
-Jim

(1) Solution

@jhanes  - With SCCM as your inventory source, FlexNet Manager will report that Exchange Server 2016 is installed on a server with an edition of "Unspecified".  See attached.

Hopefully the volume of Exchange Server is not a large number.  You can open up the Application in FlexNet Manager and go to the Devices tab.  This will list all of the servers where Exchange 2016 is installed.  You can then verify with the customer's internal IT/Server Admin team.  They should have an understanding of what editions of Exchange Server that they are using.  Once you know which edition of Exchange Server is installed on each server, you can then "Allocate" the server to the correct license in FlexNet Manager (Exchange Server Enterprise or Exchange Server Standard).

Plan B would be to install the FlexNet Manager Agent on those specific servers so that the missing data is captured to allow FlexNet Manager to correctly identify the edition of Exchange Server that is installed.

View solution in original post

(5) Replies

@jhanes  - What is your source of inventory?

Like SQL Server, the raw information that identifies the "edition" of Exchange Server is not found in the raw data obtained by a standard discovery tool such as SCCM.  "Standard" data includes such pieces of information such as the Add/Remove Names, EXE Files, and ISO Software Tags.  If your inventory source is not pulling the correct information from the WMI/Registry for Exchange Server, then you will not be able to determine what edition of Exchange Server is installed.

Like SQL Server, the FlexNet Manager Agent is able to extract that missing piece of raw data so that the FlexNet Manager ARL is able to determine what edition of Exchange Server is installed.

@kclausen the discovery tool is SCCM.

@jhanes  - With SCCM as your inventory source, FlexNet Manager will report that Exchange Server 2016 is installed on a server with an edition of "Unspecified".  See attached.

Hopefully the volume of Exchange Server is not a large number.  You can open up the Application in FlexNet Manager and go to the Devices tab.  This will list all of the servers where Exchange 2016 is installed.  You can then verify with the customer's internal IT/Server Admin team.  They should have an understanding of what editions of Exchange Server that they are using.  Once you know which edition of Exchange Server is installed on each server, you can then "Allocate" the server to the correct license in FlexNet Manager (Exchange Server Enterprise or Exchange Server Standard).

Plan B would be to install the FlexNet Manager Agent on those specific servers so that the missing data is captured to allow FlexNet Manager to correctly identify the edition of Exchange Server that is installed.

@kclausen this is the solution that I believe is the best course of action. I will work to see if we can get the inventory agent deployed to the appropriate end-devices. Additional working with the SysAdmin and Operations folks is a communications line and provides knowledge all around.

Thanks!

-Jim

Hi Jim,

Cumulative Updates for Microsoft Server products like 'Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 Cumulative Update 17' without any edition in the name can be applied both to the 'Standard' as well as to the 'Enterprise' edition of the Exchange 2016 software product.

For applying any cumulative update, an installation of either Exchange Server 'Standard' or Exchange Server 'Enterprise' must exist on the device.

It should (hopefully) be possible to identify the correct edition of the underlying base product based on the evidence detected for the base product.