cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is oracle inventory done on Linux systems

Hi Community,

I have a question regarding FNMS agent and oracle inventory. Together with Oracle DBA team we try to do some debugging on oracle server and find out how the agent is working and how he is doing the oracle discovery.

Can you tell me in which files he is looking after oracle components like:

Oratab ( /etc/oratab)

Inventory.xml ( custom location depending on location chosen during install of oracle, is not the same with the one from fnms agent).

Or are there any other files. Also is possible to enable the debugging option on the agent side, to see exactly what he is doing during the inventory.

The issue is that I created a custom report to show me the unspecified edition for oracle servers, which according to Flexera should be investigated and the dba team claims that the binaries are removed and oracle instances decommissioned but they still pop up in my report and we try to figure out why.

Thank you for your support and I wish you a nice day.

Adrian Ritz 

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The agent tries a variety of strategies to find Oracle Database installations on UNIX-like operating systems, including including looking for oracle executable files in the paths that are configured for file scanning, looking for oratab files in common locations, and looking for running ora_smon_* processes.

A description with more comprehensive details can be found in the Oracle Discovery and Inventory chapter of the FlexNet Manager Suite System Reference PDF - look for the section titled How Agent-Based Collection of Oracle Inventory Works.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The agent tries a variety of strategies to find Oracle Database installations on UNIX-like operating systems, including including looking for oracle executable files in the paths that are configured for file scanning, looking for oratab files in common locations, and looking for running ora_smon_* processes.

A description with more comprehensive details can be found in the Oracle Discovery and Inventory chapter of the FlexNet Manager Suite System Reference PDF - look for the section titled How Agent-Based Collection of Oracle Inventory Works.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)