cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexera Agent Installation - VS - RayNet-Agent (adjusted Topic to make it more specific)

Hi,

have you ever come across this during Installation of Flexera Agent?

01/12/2024 11:24:12 - MSI (s) (BC:DC) [11:24:11:297]: Product: FlexNet Inventory Agent -- This installation is incompatible with one or more products already installed on this machine published by Raynet GmbH.
01/12/2024 11:24:12 -
01/12/2024 11:24:12 - This installation is incompatible with one or more products already installed on this machine published by Raynet GmbH.

regards,

Matthias

(2) Solutions
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Raynet (https://raynet-inc.com/, https://raynet.de/) is a company that provides enterprise software management & deployment tools that included capabilities based on [early] versions of some components in the FlexNet inventory agent. The Raynet agent (which I believe is called the RayVentory Inventory Agent) configures many registry entries at the same locations in the registry as the FlexNet inventory agent uses, and so it is not possible to have both agents installed on one computer.

The message you are seeing indicates that the FlexNet inventory agent installer has found the Raynet agent installed, and so the installation of the FlexNet inventory agent cannot proceed.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

I'm not especially familiar with the Raynet agent, beyond that it includes components from early versions of the FlexNet inventory agent. I believe the Raynet products are focused on provide capabilities for managing software deployments and configuration management in enterprises.

You can't install the FlexNet inventory agent on a computer that as Raynet agent is already installed on. That would likely result in both agents no working because they would each make incompatible changes to registry entries the other agent uses.

To illustrate, here is an example. This is somewhat hypothetical as it may not be an exact issue that could occur, but illustrates the sort of thing that would be likely to occur if both agents were installed:

Both agents might use the registry entry HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\ETCPInstallDir to record the installation directory of the agent. If both agents were installed, the registry entry could only point to one location - so one of the agents would be broken because it wouldn't know its installation directory.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(6) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Raynet (https://raynet-inc.com/, https://raynet.de/) is a company that provides enterprise software management & deployment tools that included capabilities based on [early] versions of some components in the FlexNet inventory agent. The Raynet agent (which I believe is called the RayVentory Inventory Agent) configures many registry entries at the same locations in the registry as the FlexNet inventory agent uses, and so it is not possible to have both agents installed on one computer.

The message you are seeing indicates that the FlexNet inventory agent installer has found the Raynet agent installed, and so the installation of the FlexNet inventory agent cannot proceed.

Thank you Chris for your fast reply. But allowe me:
What does the "raynet-Agent" diffrent to Flexera-Agent"?

Why can I not install a Software besides another Software?

regards,
Matthias

I'm not especially familiar with the Raynet agent, beyond that it includes components from early versions of the FlexNet inventory agent. I believe the Raynet products are focused on provide capabilities for managing software deployments and configuration management in enterprises.

You can't install the FlexNet inventory agent on a computer that as Raynet agent is already installed on. That would likely result in both agents no working because they would each make incompatible changes to registry entries the other agent uses.

To illustrate, here is an example. This is somewhat hypothetical as it may not be an exact issue that could occur, but illustrates the sort of thing that would be likely to occur if both agents were installed:

Both agents might use the registry entry HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\ETCPInstallDir to record the installation directory of the agent. If both agents were installed, the registry entry could only point to one location - so one of the agents would be broken because it wouldn't know its installation directory.

Hi Chris,
I accept your answer as solution. But a Registry-Entry or a Path should be unique imho.
Regardless if it comes from Tool A or from another tool.

as a conclusion:
Never try to install FlexeraAgent on top of already installed RayNet-Agent. That's a "no no no - don'nt touch it" 😉

To be fair, it was Flexera's registry path in the first place. I think, RayNet did not change it, or at least part of it, after they started developing their inventory from what used to be the Inventory Manager.

Hi mfranz,

that's also my thinking and I assume RayNet-Agent and Flexera-Agent are somehow shared but diffrent. Maybe, from same sources, but development has changed since, for both companies.
I guess the tools are competitors in the market, but are originating from same sources - somehow.

regards,

Matthias