cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denote Concurrent vs. Node Locked Instances of an App in FNMS from FNMEA

Hello Everyone! My customer is trying to determine which uses for a set of  expensive applications are using node-locked licneses versus which are using license servers. I am thinking there may be a way to write a business adapter to feed FNMS with FNMEA data to show which machines are definitely using concurrent licenses. Can anyone offer any lessons learned or pointers before we dive in? thanks!

(4) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

I am not familiar with the exact data provided by FNMEA. If it does make sense for your customers use case, e.g.

• identifying license metrics
  • identifying related users/devices

... then you should be able to use that in a business import.

I see one problem: concurrent use (device or user based) can change within minutes. FNMS is more of a snapshot approach. So you'll have to chose a specific time/frequency when data is imported and it will only be (relatively) valid for a short time. I am not sure what is the actual added value here.

Best regards,

Markward

I believe that the real need here is to try to determine which workstations have actually used a license off of a server, leaving the rest as either - never been used OR using node-locked licenses. I think that the key with this for the customer is to narrow down the aperture to hunt down remaining node-locked. they have a very static configuration that forces license servers instead of node-locked where ever possible.

Ok, I think I got it. They use a mix of concurrent licensing and assigned (device/user) licenses and they cannot tell which user/machine falls under which model right now, correct?

In theory, you can use FNMEA and get the list of Computers that are requesting a license check out, and therefore is not using a Node-Locked license.

The next step would be to use FNMS/ITAM to get the list of Computers where the application is installed.

The third step would be to compare the 2 lists.  You would then have to make an assumption that any computer where the product is installed and is NOT checking out a license has a Node-Locked license.  

The last step is to create a Software License Entitlement in FNMS/ITAM for that product with a license metric of Node-Locked.  You would then Allocate the list of computers who appear to be using the node-locked method to this License to create license consumption.