cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Inactive users from FNMS

Hi,

Do you recommend deleting Inactive users from FNMS? What are the pros and cons of deleting them from FNMS?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Regards

Vinod Jadhav

(4) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

I like to remove what's not needed, keeping only the data necessary to deliver the value. This ususally fits my customer's data reduction and data economy approach. It also keeps my databases small, reconcile fast and in case of an error/issue makes it easier to identify the root cause.

Best regards,

Markward

Thank you Markward for your inputs!

Can we write business adapter to delete Inactive users from the FNMS? Deleting users in batches of 1000 is going to take lot of time plus this is going to be periodic activity.

Thank you,

Vinod

Hi Vinod,

Yes , absolutely, an automated Business Import should take care of this. A few things to consider:

1. There is no built-in delete option for user objects. So you'll have to implement a "custom query".
  2. I usually start with SQL Server Management Studio, creating a SELECT statement to list  all user objects that should be removed. Take your time to double check the results. Don't rush it, you dont't want to delete valid data.
  3. Compare the set to your existing user import, you want to avoid a flip-flop (importing - deleting - importing - deleting - ...), because this will increase load on the database and logs too. That could mean you need to adjust your existing user import logic as well.
  4. For most objects in the FNMSCompliance database, there are stored procedures to manipulate them (add, change, remove). While it may make no difference to delete directly from a table, it is considered best practice to use these procedures.

Here is an example:

USE FNMSCompliance

SELECT ComplianceUserID
INTO #ComplianceUser
FROM ComplianceUser
WHERE UserStatusID = 2 -- Inactive

EXEC ComplianceUserRemoveBatch

Best regards,

Markward

Thank you Markward for your inputs!