cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An alternate way/method to double check targeted inventory agent upgrade.

I was wondering if anybody knows an alternate way/method to double check targeted inventory agent upgrade.

We are using FNMS 2019 R2, off late we came across a issue where few agents were targeted for upgrade, but it so happened that the upgrade went on to upgrade the entire platform instead of just the targeted device.

while researching on this I came across Grid_AgentStatus view, for which i am told is not a valid way to verify.

we are told to check through .npl file on the targeted agent. but for us we can't do this cos of the company policy and also not a viable method.

Please let us know if any other thought / method 

(2) Solutions
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

The FNMS software deployment funtionality is rather limited (right now). What you can see in the agent status page is based on the actual application recognition process. It is not some tool specific data that will enable you to to debug the installation/migration process.

That is why most of my customers do not rely on the FNMS functionality, but on 3rd party tools, like SCCM, to deploy and patch FNMS agents. Depending on the used solution, you should be able to get more reliable reporting.

Best regards,

Markward

View solution in original post

Hi,

Well, here's the problem with "self reliance": In this construct, the FNMS agent is the only link between FNMS and the device. Using the agent to report on agent problems is like using a monitoring tool to monitor the monitoring tool 🙂 If it fails, the while construct fails. Therefore, to get more reliable and independent status information, you'll need to rely on an external solution.

Best regards,

Markward

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

The FNMS software deployment funtionality is rather limited (right now). What you can see in the agent status page is based on the actual application recognition process. It is not some tool specific data that will enable you to to debug the installation/migration process.

That is why most of my customers do not rely on the FNMS functionality, but on 3rd party tools, like SCCM, to deploy and patch FNMS agents. Depending on the used solution, you should be able to get more reliable reporting.

Best regards,

Markward

@mfranz 

Thanks for sharing your experience and I understand your point of view & acknowledge it, I am also trying to find if anybody else have tried exploring on FNMS. As this feature provided will make FNMS self reliant at least on managing it's own agent upgrades.

Hi,

Well, here's the problem with "self reliance": In this construct, the FNMS agent is the only link between FNMS and the device. Using the agent to report on agent problems is like using a monitoring tool to monitor the monitoring tool 🙂 If it fails, the while construct fails. Therefore, to get more reliable and independent status information, you'll need to rely on an external solution.

Best regards,

Markward

Hi ,
It will be a benefit if there a possibility to have that feature in FNMS. May be you have to suggest this as an idea in Idea portal.

Regards,