cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 different Inventory Agents

Hi,

Since last year my team and me deployed the inventory agent on nearly every Windows server machines we had (2008-2012-2016.) Back then the agent we used contained the files on the "agent 1" screenshot.

As our work is done with these servers we aimed to cover our Windows 2019 servers. But when I re-downloaded the agent from our FNMS, the archive contained differents files ("agent 2" screenshot).

What is the difference between those 2 "versions" ? Can I install the "old one" and still get the same results as the "new one" ? Or should I install the more recent version ?

Have a nice day

(1) Solution

The mgssetup.ini bootstrap file for the Windows Agent is downloaded from a separate link in the User Interface, just below the drop-down list where the install packages are downloaded from.  Please see the attached image.

View solution in original post

(8) Replies
Ronny_OO7
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion

Hi,

I recommend to install the new one and latest.

The difference is that 2 is with upgrade folder and files. These are required if you plan to upgrade your agent.

Regards

Ronald

I Ronald, thank you for your answer.
In that case would you know were can I find the proper documentation ? I did take a look at the Flexera resources but it seems only to apply to the old version.

@pvialart - Each time there is a new version of FlexNet Manager, there is also a new version of the Agent.

On the Inventory Settings page where you can download the Agent Install packages, you can download the current agent, but on this list previous versions are also available.  This provides you with the option to download the older version that you are currently using, or a newer version of the agent - up to the current version.

Below the Drop-Down list where you select which Agent Package you want to download, there is a "View Change History for FlexNet inventory agent" link.  If you click on this, you can see what changes/new features have been added to each version of the agent, so you can decide if you want to continue to use your current version that is deployed, or start using the current version of the agent.

Hello, thank you for the explanation. That makes things clear for me.

Would you know where can I find the documentation for each version of the agent ? I took a look a the Flexera resources  but I cannot find how to install the nexest version of the agent.

HI Agent installation is not version specific. So you can just repeat the normall installation procedure.

Hello, thank you for your answer.

The procedure describes that the beacon URL must be written in the mgssetup.ini file (in the DEPLOYSERVERURL variable).

But the new agent doesn't contain that file. It has a "Setup.ini" file, which doesn't mention the DEPLOYSERVERURL variable, or any other variable in the documentation.

Do you know how can I configure the agent without the mgssetup file ?

The mgssetup.ini bootstrap file for the Windows Agent is downloaded from a separate link in the User Interface, just below the drop-down list where the install packages are downloaded from.  Please see the attached image.

Hi,

I'm so sorry, I though that file was part of the inventory agent archive. Thank you so much for your help.