cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Extension for Edge built on Chromium

Do the current Chrome web extensions work with Edge built on Chromium? If so,  do they need to be packaged for Edge and Chrome differently to work?

(1) Solution

In case anyone missed it, we published an update to our Web Extensions installer a couple weeks ago.  This release works on Chrome, Edge Chromium, and Firefox (though Firefox requires some manual fidgeting to enable it thanks to changes they made in their security model to prohibit automatic enabling of extensions).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(6) Replies

I've not tested them, as I always use Google Chrome myself.  I had assumed that either the Edge web extension or the Chrome web extension would work on it without changes, but I couldn't say for sure.  Perhaps @CharlesW  knows?

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

I just tested it and currently our Chrome Web Extension does not work with Edge Chromium.  I'm going to create an enhancement request so that development can look into this. 

Thanks - follow up question - do the Edge extensions work on Edge Chromium?
Are there any updates on this? Does Edge Chromium work with App Portal

This other thread has a workaround for using our Chrome extension in Edge (Chromium).  I've also been told by Engineering that there will be a new web extensions release next month that will resolve various compatibility issues with Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.

In case anyone missed it, we published an update to our Web Extensions installer a couple weeks ago.  This release works on Chrome, Edge Chromium, and Firefox (though Firefox requires some manual fidgeting to enable it thanks to changes they made in their security model to prohibit automatic enabling of extensions).