cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing deployment failure with SCCM

I'm looking for some advice on how to perform a testing scenario that incorporates an installation failure with SCCM, in order to confirm the result in ServiceNow is what we are expecting. Our initial thought is to simply uninstall the SCCM client on the test end-user device before requesting a catalog item and causing an installation failure that way. We would like to know though if that scenario might cause different status information to be sent to ServiceNow in return. Does it matter how the installation fails to App Broker? Is there a better, more recommended way to test a failure? 

(1) Solution

In the SCCM console, import the attached ZIP file.  This is a package that always returns an installation failure to App Broker.  It has no source files and just runs a command that always returns an error exit code to SCCM.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

In the SCCM console, import the attached ZIP file.  This is a package that always returns an installation failure to App Broker.  It has no source files and just runs a command that always returns an error exit code to SCCM.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

Thanks Jim,

The initial test I ran with the attached package I got the expected result of an almost immediate failure in App Broker, but now when trying to run subsequent tests using the exact same package, catalog item and test machine the requests are not failing and instead stay in a "processing" state. Any idea why this might be occurring? 

When you created the deployment in App Portal, did you select the option for "Always Rerun"?  If not, I'd start there.  If you did select that option, then I'm not sure what would prevent SCCM from returning a failure status.  Perhaps there is something in the SCCM client logs that would indicate what's going on?