Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repackaging with Vmware

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi there
I recently saw this option in repackager.
I already have some machines in vmware.
i click the vmware repack wizard
it shows none of machines in my vmware
so i start vmware and open the machine i want
then repack sees the machine but says its in use.

I got around that problem by closing the virtual machine right after repack wizard sees it.

anyways here's my question.
is there supposed to be some program poping up in vmware? or do i just go ahead and install a program in vmware?
do i need to install vmware tools in the virtual machine?
what should be the networking choice? (nat/etc.?)

Thanks

(I just tried installing a program nothing happened repack wise)
(4) Replies
the vmware wizard does little more than open your image

you still have to set up your vmware in the normal way

you do not need to install anything special into vmware. You just can run isrepackager.exe over the network or from a vmware shared folder

looeee
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
?? so that option doesn't really do anything?
i run repackager numerous times from vmware.

could you explain what it does and how its done :rolleyes:
I'd really want to know this
I'm doing unattended install of windows.
now i'm in need of repackaging an installer. I know it changes files after a restart. so I was hoping this method (choosing vmware) could also track those changes after the restart?
does it do that?

2nd: i usually install repackager to my vmware installs, should i not do that? should i run the isrepackager.exe from network like u said? what's the difference and benefit

pls help

Thank You so much!
?? so that option doesn't really do anything?

it looks good on the glossy sales materials, same as Tivoli/Marimba/SMS Integration that does nothing useful

1) There should be no issues with a reboot. When installation monitoring works, it can sometimes continue after reboot.

When using snapshot mode during a reboot (you should only ever use multiple snapshots mode) the snapshot will include loads of junk that the PC makes during a reboot.

Make a snapshot of only a reboot as an excercise.

2) There is nothing wrong with copying repackager on your clean image (You MUST NOT install AdminStudio there)

Normally in an Company you have several packagers and you all want to be using the same settings, have access to the same MergeModules, exclusion lists (which change over time)
The only easy is to run off a network share so that you have all users up-to-date.

A VMWare machine is no different than any other machine. It just restores quicker

looeee
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
thank u so much.
i'll try multiple snapshots later this week.