cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

providing Admin privlidges during install?

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Can anyone tell me which products might allow the install package to upgrade a user to Admin during install and then
reduce them back to their normal privlidge afterwards?

I have several hundred users with no admin rights but they are all over North America. I need to be able to distribute apps to them on CD for them to execute. I will not be giving them admin passwords so they can do the install but still need Admin for the install to function.

I would be willing to embed the admin password somehow in the install (worst case).

Any ideas?
(6) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thank you,

That does help. It does however, look like the policy should have been set before hand, which of course is not the case here. But we can work that out for the future.

The question I was really trying to get answered was whether Install Shield had a feature for using elevated priviliges specifically?

I guess if not then we will have to rely on the MS implementation.

Regards
JC
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Actually,

After reading a little further it looks as though a person might have to have Active Directory for this bug (I mean feature) to work.

Of course wouldn't you know it, we don't use active directory.

hmmmmm.
Active Directory is not required. Only a couple of registry keys need to be set for all msi packages to run at elevated privilleges.

AlwaysInstallElevated
To always install a package with elevated (system) privileges, set the AlwaysInstallElevated value to "1" under both of the following registry keys.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
OK Mike,

Thank you for your help,

I will try this out!

JC