cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hi there,

I'm creating an MSI from an installer that installs device drivers. I've found out that Repackager ignores device drivers, and used Installshield's Device Driver Wizard without success. The MSI now rolls back everything at the end of installation.

Does anyone have any idea what's happening? I'll appreciate any help. Thanks.
(1) Reply
What I've found to be good tests for how to properly install a driver when the regular DifX components don't work is this:

1. Generate a log. DifX might be writing helpful messages to the log that you haven't seen yet:

HOWTO: Logging an MSI Installation:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q104807

2. Try the project in InstallShield 2008 (included with AdminStudio 8.5). This contains DifX 2.11 instead of 2.1 like in IS12.

3. Try right clicking the *.inf file and select 'Install'. Then, try plugging in the hardware. If you're doing a pre-install, this should show whether or not using the setupapi.dll method works (just google setupapi.dll and you'll find plenty on how to use this).

4. When all else fails, some people have found that the DPInst.exe commandline util from the DifX framework worked for them. I would look into the documentation for this and see if you can make this work outside of your setup project.

Odds are, you'll be able to make it work using one of the above methods. Failing that, you might have one of those really complicated drivers that the driver developers wrote their own custom code to get into the system.

Anyways, hopefully this helps.