Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating mst with Adminstudio Or Custom Wizard

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi there,
We are looking at the possibilities to use AdminStudio in combination with Office xp using a mst file. Before Adminstudio we used the Custom Wizard from the office resource kit. There you can configure various things, including the location of the templates. In Adminstudio you can't do that or I just don't know where I can find it. Can somebody help me?
Thanx
(4) Replies
In AdminStudio you use Tuner to create transforms. You open a base MSI and create the transform. All of your changes will be saved in the transform and the base MSI will be untouched.

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Yes I know that, but I can't find the option for that I described above. Or do I manually have to find the key in the registry?
You will have to study the MSI to determine what you need to do in the transform to make the install behave the way you want it to behave. Tuner is not, and could not, be aware of the business rules and design of every single install out there. The Microsoft utility you speak of is aware of the design of office.
I'm not at work and dont have office xp in front of me. Basically you have to reverse engineer it. ( Not too hard since it is in plaintext source. )

It will go something like this....

Hunt through the msi and find the components that represent your template files. Notice their intallation directory. Look for MSI Properties and custom actions that are controlling that destination. Inject your changes.