cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

acrobat reader 7 => create a single msi

hi

i want to install acrobat reader 7 but i must follow rules (have a single msi)

problem : when i decompress the setup.exe of arcobat reader 7.0
it's not a single msi.

how can i create a single msi ?
(10) Replies
You have to find it. Search for the Adobe Reader 7.0.msi during setup.
Just for clarification - are you looking to take the msi from the Adobe install? Or are you looking to combine that msi with its adjoining cab file to make a one-file push?

If all you need is their msi with the cab (that's how I'd go), I can tell you how to do that - it's super easy.
Please tell that would be really great to know as I am doing an eval of AS6 and that was one of the listed requirements is single file distribution!!!!
Check this link to appdeploy.com. They have all sorts of good information - it's not really using Installshield because you're working straight from the vendor MSI.

http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=404
single MSI = bad
MSI & CAB = good

when windows installer warms up it makes several copies of the MSI to work on. If you have your CAB embedded in the MSI and your package is big, you will suffer loads of performance / diskspace issues

looeee
when windows installer warms up it makes several copies of the MSI to work on. If you have your CAB embedded in the MSI and your package is big, you will suffer loads of performance / diskspace issues.

Although Windows Installer copies the MSI at least twice during warming-up. It does so without the embedded cabs. It sounds logical that even this reduces performance vastly, but I haven't seen much proof of that. Still my personal favourite is the uncompressed MSI.

The question is: how much impact does this have on the installation?

Regards,

Rene
It does so without the embedded cabs

not in my experience. a 200Mb MSI with embedded cabs needs nearly 1Gb space.
You are correct! Just tested it and a copy of the full MSI is made in %temp%. Finally a good reason to crusade against those compressed single-file MSI's 😉
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to extract the Adobe 7.0 install from Adobe into msi and cab files? Thanks.
Just by running the Adobe 7 install file, AdbeRdr70_enu.exe, a directory in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files is created with the setup.exe, msi, and cab files extracted.