cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow, is it really this broken?

By
Not applicable
Hi all,
I just downloaded an eval copy of Admin Studio 7. I normally package in WISE but I am being subcontracted by a group that uses AdminStudio and have their QA procedures built around it.

To familiarise myself I started with a very simple demo project, repackaging firefox (my favourite browser) install.

Everything went smoothly, with the repackager and build until it came time to run my new installer. Firefox wouldn't run. I noticed one entire directory missing from the program directory (Program Files\Mozilla firefox) after install.

The directory is called 'chrome' and it contains a number of jar files that Firefox needs. The repackager has it clearly listed in its fileset but it never makes it into the final installer.

If I edit the project in IS rather than repackager I can see that the dir is indeed missing. Easy, I dragged the dir in and included it, rebuilt and ... it still didn't work.

Ok, I added a text file to chrome directory, dragged it into the chrome directory in the filset listed in IS and rebuilt. This time it all worked sweetly. Firefox installs, the chrome directory is present and firefox runs.

The only thing I noticed was that the program directory actually has more 13 more files than an original install. I can account for 1, thats the one I added to force the chrome directory to install.

It turns out that there are two 'chrome' directories in a normal firefox install:
- Program Files\Mozilla firefox\chrome; and
- Program Files\Mozilla firefox\defaults\profile\chrome.
When I look in Program Files\Mozilla firefox\defaults\profile\chrome there are the jar files that belong in Program Files\Mozilla firefox\chrome.

Sure enough, when I go back to the IS project there the jar files sit, in completely the wrong directory. IS has decided to move them from Program Files\Mozilla firefox\chrome to Program Files\Mozilla firefox\defaults\profile\chrome in its fileset.

In my opinion, that makes AdminStudio fundamentally broken. Am I missing something? Hasn't anyone else encountered this behaviour?

For those who might want to try this for themselves, I am running WinXP SP2 on a VMWare instance with AdminStudio 7 as my production environment and WinXP SP2 on VMWare for my clean environment.

Cheers

Brooklyn Waters
(3) Replies
Maybe it's time to read my 'repackaging rant' in my blog! 🙂

BTW, an aside, you might want to check out this website:

http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/
If I recall correctly, you have to install hotfix 4 for AdminStudio 7 to fix this.
I had the same problem with directories with the same name. :cool:
By
Not applicable
Thanks for that. I'll give it a whirl. I was sure this must have cropped up before.

cheers

Brooklyn Waters