cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update existing .msi package?

Ok, I'm sure you come across this scenario before:

You use AdminStudio to create a software package, carefully crafting and debugging it. It runs perfect, and you use SMS and deploy it to 1000 desktops. Life is good. :cool:

Soon after the software manufacturer issues a service pack or an update (not Microsoft). :eek:

What are your choices here? Create another .msi package of the service pack and deploy that? Is there a way to update the existing package or do you need to deploy the service pack AND create a new package that includes the service pack for any new installs?

Examples:
Adobe Acrobat v.7 (8 updates since the original install, requires a reboot after each update!)
Autodesk AutoCAD 2007 - (issued SP2, but it's just a bug fix....difficulties creating .msi from .exe on that one. Why can't they produce an .msi?) :confused:
(1) Reply
Personally, here is how I handled this problem.....

When I repack the legacy setup into an MSI, I check all the files and InstallShield project files into a source control system and run it through build automation to create the output MSI.

I author the ISM with a Major Ugprade since I can't go worrying about component rules since I don't control what practices the outside vendor will follow when sending me a new release.

When I get the new version, I do a quick repackage just to grab the updated files and I give it quick yet thorough once over to see if the design of the install changed. If not, I just drop the files into source control, update the build number and ProductCode and rebuild. Then I use SMS to test a clean install and an upgraded install on top of the previous release.

Sometimes minor changes ( maybe new files or registry keys ) may be seen, sometimes it's a complete rewrite. Eitherway at runtime it's a non-issue because the same advertisement will handle either scenario.