cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to launch the shortcut in user mode

Hi,

I am seriously struck up with an issue.
After installing my package in Admin mode and then go to user mode and try to launch the shortcut i am not able to launch it .On the other hand after installing in Admin mode and launch the shortcut and then try to launch it in user mode i am able to do it.

if any one has come across this problem or know the solution for this problem please help .
(3) Replies
Maybe your application register DLL/OCX when you click on shortcut...
OMSTEF wrote:
Maybe your application register DLL/OCX when you click on shortcut...

The shortcut opens a windows which provides an user an option select the trial version or the licensed version.

if it registers an DLL/OCX then what would be the workaround to launch the shortcut from the user mode. since its mandatory to launch it from Usermode as per the project standars.
There is definitely a problem with the way the application is installed per machine. What you're describing indicates that the application is missing some information when running under the user account.

A couple of things to try.

(1) after the application is installed in Admin mode--launch the QualityMonitor and run the application using the user log in credentials. This should tell you exactly what happened or get you started in the right direction.

(2) If QualityMonitor is not available, use Filemon and Regmon to monitor the application as it launches.

I can't tell too much based on what you've described, but my hunch is that there is a HKEY_CURRENT_USER key written when the install runs in admin mode that isn't available when run with the user account. You may have some luck searching the .msi for any HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry keys and manually adding those in the user account to see if the problem goes away.

Hope that helps,