cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop and Start the printspooler from a MSI

Dear readers,

Background:
Iam repackaging PDF995, which installs a pdf printer.
It install fine, but the printer does not become visible until the printspooler is stopped and restarted.

Tried:
Make a component Spooler that stops and start the spooler service.

And guess...
Nothing happens.

Does anyone have a working solution ?

reg, Henno
(9) Replies
Ensure that the name of the service is "Spooler" and create two events, one to stop and a second to start.

Nicholas
nicholas_ong wrote:
Ensure that the name of the service is "Spooler" and create two events, one to stop and a second to start.

Nicholas

I have indeed created the service "Spooler" with 1 event that does a start and start on install, and 1 event that does a start & stop on uninstall.
You said that I have to split them up to 4 events, right ?

regards, Henno
You should have the following:

-Control NT Services
-Spooler
- Stop Install Stop=Yes
- Start Install Start=Yes

Try setting only the initial stop/start events during install to verify that it works, then move on to creating the events for uninstall.

Nicholas
nicholas_ong wrote:
You should have the following:

-Control NT Services
-Spooler
- Stop Install Stop=Yes
- Start Install Start=Yes

Try setting only the initial stop/start events during install to verify that it works, then move on to creating the events for uninstall.

Nicholas

Nicholas,

I have made:
Component "BumpSpooler"
Control NT Service
Spooler
NewEvent1
Install Start = Yes
Install Stop = Yes
Uninstall Start = Yes
Uninstall Stop = Yes

Meaning that it needs to stop/start the Spooler when installing/uninstalling.
Iam using AdminStudio 6, and nothing seems to happen, the wizard does not give any indication that it is doing the starting/stopping, the eventlog doesn't show anything either.
Bug in AS6 ?

Regards, Henno
Try creating a separate event for each action:

Component "BumpSpooler"
Control NT Service
Spooler
NewEvent1
Install Stop = Yes

NewEvent2
Install Start = Yes

The first event should be to stop the service.

Work with the install start/stop first to ensure that it works before adding the uninstall start/stop events.

Nick
nicholas_ong wrote:
Try creating a separate event for each action:

Component "BumpSpooler"
Control NT Service
Spooler
NewEvent1
Install Stop = Yes

NewEvent2
Install Start = Yes

The first event should be to stop the service.

Work with the install start/stop first to ensure that it works before adding the uninstall start/stop events.

Nick

My collegue just tried it, nothing happens...
To me, it sounds like a bug in AS6... shit.

reg, Henno
We are using Admin Studio 6 here and have been using the stop start service option for several different verions of AS without trouble. To troubleshoot turn on verbose logging under the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"Debug"=dword:00000007
"Logging"="voicewarmup"

You will find the log file created under the user temp folder. Also isolate the problem by creating only a stop service and verifying that succeeds.

By the way, verify that the component you created has been added to Setup Design.

Nick
nicholas_ong wrote:
We are using Admin Studio 6 here and have been using the stop start service option for several different verions of AS without trouble. To troubleshoot turn on verbose logging under the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"Debug"=dword:00000007
"Logging"="voicewarmup"

You will find the log file created under the user temp folder. Also isolate the problem by creating only a stop service and verifying that succeeds.

By the way, verify that the component you created has been added to Setup Design.

Nick

Yup, I was blond.... :eek:
I failed to add the component to the feature (setup design)....
It now works nicely...

regards & thanks!
Henno
Is that component being installed? Those component actions will only fire if associate to a component that is being installed.