cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent Install with Single File EXE

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have a 3rd party MSI which includes a setup.exe, a CAB file and the windows installer files.

I created a transform using Tuner which creates a few shortcuts and drops a some files pertinent to my company. The files do not interact with the package.

If put all the files into a directory and run a command line msiexec /i "MY MSI.MSI" /qb TRANSFORMS=mymsi.mst

it works great.

I want to be able to bundle all the files into one single EXE with the command line a part of the build.

I basically want a user to download one file like a setup.exe, double click on it and it installs the program and applies the transform.

How do I do this?
(4) Replies
PackageForTheWeb should do that just fine. You can download and use PackageForTheWeb from InstallShield Downloads.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I tried the PFTW. I can get command lines like this to work:

msiexec /i "Symantec AntiVirus.msi" /qb TRANSFORMS=sav9.mst REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

PFTW allows one to run commands against setup.exe. What is the paramenters for this?

I've tried this:

setup.exe /s /V"/qb REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL" but I only receive errors.

Any thoughts?
BTW since this is symantec, have you tried using their client repackager utility? It's pretty nice and brain dead for systems administrators.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Are you referring to Symantec Packager?

Actually that is what I am currently using. Basically I've created a custom command that copies all the Symantec files and my files into a directory. I also use the custom command to make the installation silent. Then all that happens is Symantec is installed without any changes. A batch file creates a registry entry in runonce to copy my files in the directories they need to go in after a reboot.

I just completed a class on AdminStudio and was trying to see if I could use a transform file to do the same thing.