cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self-Healing to the User profile not working correctly

I have an application that I'm packaging that requires a license file to be copied to the AppData folder in the user's profile. I have a "CurrentUser" feature and a "Main" feature as a child feature. All application files are in the Main feature and the one license file is in the CurrentUser feature. The license file is setup as a key file as well. When I install the application with an admin account as a per-machine installation, the application installs correctly and drops the license file in the correct directory in the user profile. However, when I log out and back in as another user, I launch the application from the advertised shortcut, it self-heals because it doesn't see the file it the current user AppData folder, but the self-heal is trying to put it back in the profile that the application was installed under instead of the current user. I've created a custom action that pulls the USERPROFILE environment variable and assigns it to the path where I want the file installed, but it's still, somehow, trying to install to a different profile.

I'm a new convert to Adminstudio. I was using Wise Package Studio before this and always setup these types of installs the way this one is set up and I've never had issues. Not sure if there is something quirky with AdminStudio that I'm not aware of or what. Any suggestions?

:confused:
(2) Replies
sfurr999 wrote:
I have an application that I'm packaging that requires a license file to be copied to the AppData folder in the user's profile. I have a "CurrentUser" feature and a "Main" feature as a child feature. All application files are in the Main feature and the one license file is in the CurrentUser feature. The license file is setup as a key file as well. When I install the application with an admin account as a per-machine installation, the application installs correctly and drops the license file in the correct directory in the user profile. However, when I log out and back in as another user, I launch the application from the advertised shortcut, it self-heals because it doesn't see the file it the current user AppData folder, but the self-heal is trying to put it back in the profile that the application was installed under instead of the current user. I've created a custom action that pulls the USERPROFILE environment variable and assigns it to the path where I want the file installed, but it's still, somehow, trying to install to a different profile.

I'm a new convert to Adminstudio. I was using Wise Package Studio before this and always setup these types of installs the way this one is set up and I've never had issues. Not sure if there is something quirky with AdminStudio that I'm not aware of or what. Any suggestions?

:confused:

The license file can't be the keypath. The literal file path it installs to is used as the keypath in the registry, which means that it's not repairing that component.

Give it a Registry keypath under HKCU; this way the registered path in the MSI registry doesn't change, but it will be found to be missing. My guess is Wise did this on your behalf on the back end.
Cary R wrote:
The license file can't be the keypath. The literal file path it installs to is used as the keypath in the registry, which means that it's not repairing that component.

Give it a Registry keypath under HKCU; this way the registered path in the MSI registry doesn't change, but it will be found to be missing. My guess is Wise did this on your behalf on the back end.

Thanks..I figured this out late yesterday afternoon. This was exactly the problem.