cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackaging Question

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have a question regarding Windows XP Security Patches on a clean machine. If you setup a clean machine with Windows XP Service Pack 1a on it and all the latest security patches. Is it possible to repackage the clean machines security patches into a Windows Installer Package? I have learned from previous testing I cannot repackage a service pack but I was wondering if the same worked for security patches because currently I have to apply these updates by walking to every pc in my environment. Thanks for any help you can offer.
(8) Replies
You should be able to create a shell that points the installation point. If corp security allows it and you site is small enough, put install path in a cmd file and use that.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks for the help but got a question I'm still fairly new to Admin Studio, how do you go about creating a shell?
I'm trying to figure out the InstallShield stuff still -- the shell would be the cmd file. How are you doing your deployments?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
We are using SMS to do our deployments of Windows Installer packages, how are you doing your deployments?
LANDesk
With SMS you should be able to avertise the hotfix with no additional work
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Well Papardun thanks for your suggestions I don't know exactly how to use a shell within SMS but I will do some further testing and if I have any luck with applying the patches I'll post here.
you don't need to use a shell in SMS -- just advertise the hotfix executible and push it to the desktops.