cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackager -> Building pkg gives error -1000 Invalid release location

I'm using FlexNet Adminstudio Repackager.

I grab a ZENworks .AXT file (all it has is registry keys in it). It converts it just fine (I see all the registry keys and that's all I wanted/needed).

I click the Build button and it generates this error:

Building .msi package
ISDEV : fatal error -1000: Invalid release location: C:\. Use proper directory naming convention.
ISDEV : error -5047: Cannot create directory
Product1\Release1 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Build failed.

I'm logged in as the LOCAL administrator to this pc. But it doesn't matter where I try to write the .ISM file to, it gives the same error.

???
(9) Replies
Hm. This may be obvious, but my first thought is that you may want to double-check your build location. Click on Repackaged Output and look at the path assigned to Editor Project. If that looks good, you may want to uncheck the Create a Windows Installer check box. If that works okay, you can build from within the Editor.
Thanks, the path showed fine, so I unchecked the box like you said.

It "worked", and this is what I get in the log file. (I'm assuming the INSTALLDIR definition is what it's really complaining about so maybe that's why it won't build the MSI?):

Monday, February 12, 2007 02:39:38PM
Starting conversion
Creating Developer project: C:\dst.ism
Reading repackager output file
No INSTALLDIR definition was found in the Options.ini file. This may lead to unexpected results unless a suitable value exists in the project template.
Loading registry entries
Creating components for the files captured
Mapping registry information to the Advertising tables
Mapping typelib data from registry information to the TypeLib table
Mapping COM data from registry information
Mapping Application IDs from registry information and writing to the AppId table
Mapping ProgIDs from registry information
Writing to the Class table
Mapping file extensions and MIME types from registry information to the Extension and Mime tables
Mapping shell extension verbs from registry information to the Verb table
Writing to the ProgId table
Mapping application paths from registry information
Mapping environment variables from registry information to the Environment table
Processing .INI file changes and writing to the IniFile table
Applying merge modules
Creating directory folders and writing to the CreateFolders table
Writing unmapped registry information to the Registry table
Writing information to the RemoveRegistry table
Creating shortcuts and writing to the Shortcut table
Saving project file
Finished successfully.

Conversion completed with 1 warning(s).
Well that's not. I put the path in the Capture Installation section (the "original target folder" was blank).

Now the log file shows:

Monday, February 12, 2007 02:53:30PM
Starting conversion
Creating Developer project: C:\dst.ism
Reading repackager output file
Loading registry entries
Creating components for the files captured
Mapping registry information to the Advertising tables
Mapping typelib data from registry information to the TypeLib table
Mapping COM data from registry information
Mapping Application IDs from registry information and writing to the AppId table
Mapping ProgIDs from registry information
Writing to the Class table
Mapping file extensions and MIME types from registry information to the Extension and Mime tables
Mapping shell extension verbs from registry information to the Verb table
Writing to the ProgId table
Mapping application paths from registry information
Mapping environment variables from registry information to the Environment table
Processing .INI file changes and writing to the IniFile table
Applying merge modules
Creating directory folders and writing to the CreateFolders table
Writing unmapped registry information to the Registry table
Writing information to the RemoveRegistry table
Creating shortcuts and writing to the Shortcut table
--------------------------
Building .msi package
ISDEV : fatal error -1000: Invalid release location: C:\. Use proper directory naming convention.
ISDEV : error -5047: Cannot create directory
Product1\Release1 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Build failed.

Conversion stopped with 1 error(s) and 0 warning(s).
We're getting close. In the Editor, go to Media-->Releases. There will be a middle pane that is organized by -->. Select the Release Name. The first property on the far right is 'Release Location'. Click in the field and browse to a spot to build your image. Make sure it's not in the root of C:\--that appears to be the current value.
Wow, that was fast. It appears that the version of Admin Studio (ZENworks Edition) does not have that ability (it has repackager, but you cannot run the Editor).

So I'm not sure if it's that I need the "full" edition to build the MSI or if there's a problem somewhere.

In the meantime, I'm downloading the Pro demo to see if that'll do what I need it to do (if it does, we'll just buy the Enterprise edition).
By any chance is your Repackager project in the root of the C: drive? For some reason the Repackager wants to build your .msi in C:\. That's causing the problem...
Yes, I put the project file there to rule out any file permission issues.

Are you not allowed to write anywhere you want to?

I've even changed it to a diff. drive (networked drive) and got the same results.

Or does it not let you write to ANY drive "root" location (ie, C:\, H:\, etc.)
I don't have the ZENworks version so I can't say for sure. But I suspect that you don't have control over where the .msi is getting built. I know InstallShield likes to clean up the folder where the .msi is getting built, maybe the Repackager is the same way. It may be nervous building off of the root. Try a subfolder--move the project and see if it builds better.
Holy smokes! That's what it was.

So you cannot apparently build or "read" the file from a "root" location.

How bizarre.

So I guess I'll just make a mental note that I have to place everything into special folders.