cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registry permissions

Hello,
When i try to install my msi file, i have a problem with permission in registry, it tell me, the key cant be written.

My server is not include in a domain, just only workgroup and i use administrator account to install it.
I try to set the permissions with administrators account without success.

Any idea ? im bit lost...

Thanx
AB.
(8) Replies
Dark-Jedi wrote:
Hello,
When i try to install my msi file, i have a problem with permission in registry, it tell me, the key cant be written.

My server is not include in a domain, just only workgroup and i use administrator account to install it.
I try to set the permissions with administrators account without success.

Any idea ? im bit lost...

Thanx
AB.

Try "Administrators" instead of french.. 😄

Regards, Henno
HennoKeers wrote:
Try "Administrators" instead of french.. 😄

Regards, Henno

Another more intelligent answer and constructive?
I have tried a lot of account (eng & FR), i have always same message.
Check the component that has the lockpermissions isnt orphaned, Look for a component with red exclamation mark !
Dark-Jedi wrote:

It doesn't sound like Henno's suggestion is the problem, but to be fair, it was actually quite a good one.

From the LockPermissions documentation:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369774.aspx

"The common user names "Everyone" and "Administrators" may be entered in English and are mapped to well-known SIDs."
I have the same problem. I want to create a key under HKLM, I set the permission to "Everyone", the components isn't orphaned, the required execution level for the release is set to Administrator and I still get the same error message with error... I'm in a basic MSI with InstallShield2008.

Any idea ?
Ho! I just found why I had this error message.. A bad mistake, that was my fault. Error code 18 as we say here!!
Cary R wrote:
It doesn't sound like Henno's suggestion is the problem, but to be fair, it was actually quite a good one.

From the LockPermissions documentation:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369774.aspx

"The common user names "Everyone" and "Administrators" may be entered in English and are mapped to well-known SIDs."

That's what I meant ... 😮
I have to leave my dutch behind when doing things in the editor...

reg, Henno
Dark-Jedi wrote:

I would suggest dumping the permission table method, at work we find it to cumbersome and errorprone and hard to change afterwards, when the package is distributed.
We use GPO's to grant permissions, did you thought about that option?

reg, Henno