Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prompt End User for Information

SonnyLee
By Level 3 Flexeran
Level 3 Flexeran

Hi,

My potential AdminStudio customer asked this questions after watching the AdminStudio demo video, "We need to be able to do in our scenario is to prompt the end user for information and take actions based on their response.  For example, based on a yes/no response, install a program with a different set or arguments.  Or get the user to type in a bit of information that would then get stored in the registry. 

Does AdminStudio provide that capability and where would we find that? "

Can someone help answer this question?

Thanks,

Sonny

(1) Solution
bkelly
By
Flexera Alumni

While it is possible to build such logic into a custom installer, it would probably make the most sense to leverage a PSADT wrapper. While such does require some scripting skills, there are functions in this PowerShell template that may make this task easier than it sounds. 

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
bkelly
By
Flexera Alumni

While it is possible to build such logic into a custom installer, it would probably make the most sense to leverage a PSADT wrapper. While such does require some scripting skills, there are functions in this PowerShell template that may make this task easier than it sounds. 

I'd also be careful relying on end user entering in information in order for the installer to successfully install the application. If possible, it's better to gather information based on the machine and current user attributes to affect the logic of an installation.

I'd echo @bkelly 's suggestion of using PowerShell App Deploy Toolkit, which AdminStudio supports. It has a built-in minimal user prompt that can let the user know an installation is taking place, close down apps so the installation to proceed, and allow the user to defer the installation for a number of times if they need to save their work before the installer continues.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!