cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm looking for a script which will install a file at runtime so that we can findout when that particular application was installed

-skj
(5) Replies
Are you looking for some type of inventory or information file to search for on the system that has the date and name of application installed?
We just want to check when this particular application was installed
as of now we installing a text file which has packagers information but we wanted that file to have the install date & time
Have you heard of WinBatch?
I picked it up a couple years ago to do some real basic scripting and batch writing for some of my packages. It has a Compiler that converts the batch file into .exe file and give it any name you like. You can put all kinds of info into the file header, including date, name, comments, even your name and department. Once I have compiled the file, I just add it to my package and have it install to the C:\Windows folder. (that way normal users w/out admin rights can't delete it).
When I need to find out who has what app and what version, I use SMS Web Reports to query the network for the file.
WinBatch is comparitively cheap to get (I think I paid a couple hundred for the Compiler license) and is a pretty versatile tool for all kinds of stuff.
You can get the batch program for free at www.WinBatch.com, but you have to pay for the Compiler. It's worth downloading and at least checking out.
You can create a custom action with appropriate condition which will write date and time of installation to the file.

Alternatively, you can have that information, date and time, down in registry using built-in Windows Installer property, Date and Time respectively. You can create your own property for packager's info.
Why not read the InstallDate value from
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\...]
:cool: