cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protecting a registry strings 'Value Data' through MSI functionality?

Hello Everyone,

I have a question… I hope there is someone here who can tell me how to do this.

I would like to create an MSI that delivers a Registry entry. But… I would like it to protect it’s payload using MSI’s ability to self-repair the installation.

Without using registry permissions is there a way to create an ’MSI’ that delivers a specific registry entry/hack (Hive>Key>Value “String/Binary/DWORD/Multi-String/-or-Expandable-String”>Value Data) that delivers a registry key with a string in it with specific ‘value data’ and that is self-repairing? The specific thing we want to protect is the actual ‘value data’ of the string (whether it is a String, Binary, DWORD, etc key).

This is just a registry entry I want to deliver.

I know we can protect the key as a Key Component, thus protect the value data but I need to know if we can protect the ‘Value Data’ in a string in the key without locking down the key with a permission. Can it be made to be ‘self-repairing’?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bill
(1) Reply
You could consider placing the registry value in its own component and then making that value the component key. If your application is launched via an "advertised" shortcut, then MSI will automatically vefiry the existence of this value every time the application gets launched. This is only an existence based test. Anything more than an existence based test will require coding in the application.

If the value must always be a specific value, you should consider evaluating desktop configuration management tools that are specifically designed to detect and correct configuration drift.