cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCX files missing

Hello All,

I am using AdminStudio 8.0 / Repackager 8 to repackage an application called Voyager (used in libraries). There is only one file in the native Voyager install and that is VoyagerInstall.exe at 17MB. If I open the exe with winrar the following files are listed (if it helps);

cabinet.dll
imagehlp.dll
instmsi.msi
msi.cat
msi.dll
msi.inf
msiexec.exe
msihnd.dll
msiinst.exe
msimain.sdb
msimsg.dll
msisip.dll
msls31.dll
mspatcha.cat
mspatcha.dll
mspatcha.inf
riched20.dll
sdbapiU.dll
shfolder.dll
usp10.dll

So I start the repackaging wizard and select Installation Monitoring enter the appropriate details and let it do its thing. I edit the package after that to point the non-advertised icons to the correct locations. Build the package and copy it over to vanilla XP SP2 station and perform the install with the new package. Everything seems to go ok- the icons are correct and working. However, when the app starts I receive the following error;

Resource Version Errors
Comdlg32.OCX: 6.0.81.69 File is missing.
Mscomctl.OCX: 6.0.88.62 File is missing.
Mscomct2.OCX: 6.0.88.4 Files is missing.

If the same repackaged application is installed on a production non vanilla machine there are no problems. I am assuming the OCX files were previously installed from / for other existing applications. I noted that one of the existing OCX files has an updated version number.

If I run the vendor provided install (Voyagerinstall.exe) on a vanilla machine there are no problems.

My questions are;
-How do I get the repackager to include the OCX files?
-If the OCX files exist on a station how do I get it to not overwrite them if the existing ones are more recent versions?
-Where are the OCX files located in the vendor supplied installation?

(I tried the standalone repackger on a vanilla machine but it reported over 200 some errors and did not detect any new files.)

I hope I provided enough details. Please let me know if more info is required.

Thanks!
-Giles
(3) Replies
You can use the merge modules for these files to include them on the machine.
You'll not need them on machines containing Office or other software since these files are Microsoft runtimes that are included with many programs.

Also, it seems your package includes files that are part of the Windows Installer engine. That's curious.

Regards,

René
Yes I noticed that as well. That was the vendor supplied installation. I tried to open it with IS 12 but it gave me an error "InstallShield cannot open.... Please contact Macrovision...."

tried with Application Isolation Wizard and got the following message;
"File is an administrative image of a Windows Installer file. The AI Wizard does not support the isolation of administrative images."

Thanks!
-Giles
If you set a logging policy on the machine (via gpedit.msc), you'll be able to locate the vendor MSI (from the logfile in %temp%).

Kind regards,

René