cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSD File Missing

Using AdminStudio 9.5 to create App-V package. As to why AdminStudio has not outputted OSD files, I guess something wrong .... I tried 7 Application out of which 4 got OSD files and 3 Application has no OSD file in output Folder......
Guys any ....... comment on this .............I am Using Automated Application Converter .......for App V Output.....

AJ
(7) Replies
Alpesh
By
Flexera Alumni
Hi,

Does those msi files have any shortcuts in them? If there are no shortcuts in the msi file, then there will be no osd files getting created.

Thanks!
Thanks for answering me.......
Currently i am using Automated Application Converter to repackage the application which was earlier packaged through Wise packaging... in this senario ........ the msi i am getting dont have desktop shortcut.

Can you suggest me how will i get the osd files in App v folder .... tell me the best practise ........ to convert Wise packaged Application into App v application and get the msi to deploy through SCCM console.

AJ
On the point of the OSD file I think I've found a bug with the AdminStudio toolset. (Windows Installer Converter, AAC + general repackaging process.)

When using the conventional MS App-V Sequencer you get an OSD file where you have a shortcut, but also in scenarios where you have only a file association.

In limited tests I've done so far with AdminStudio you only get an OSD file where you have a shortcut.

Thanks,
Craig
Hi Craig,

There could certainly be an issue, it sounds like. But, I just tested the scenario you described with AdminStudio 10:

--Converting an MSI project using InstallShield
--Converting the same MSI project via automated repackaging in AAC
--Converting the MSI via direct MSI conversion

And each of these generated an OSD file without shortcut information, but containing the appropriate file association information.

The sample project did nothing more than register a copy of notepad.exe with the *.npd file extension (which I picked out of thin air).

What version have you seen this issue in?

Regards,

Cary
MichaelU
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran
This limitation was addressed in AdminStudio 10; in prior releases, .osd files were indeed only generated if there was a shortcut.
Thank you for the information, I was testing with AdminStudio 9.5 SP3 so that explains it.

Cheers,
Craig
Thanks Craig, Michael and cary for input......Today i gone through AdminStudio 10.... and this limitation is addressed quite well .... you can make changes in Application Catalog .... and create the shortcut.....and generate osd file.

AJ