Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More shortcut problems

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have another problem with shortcuts.

I have a program that installs files on the local machine but the exe is located on a unc path. I try to add a new shortcut to point to the unc path, which seems ok but the shortcut doesn't appear on the target machine. No error messages are logged and it does make the dir structure we want (c:\startmenu\programs\etc) but the shortcuts don't appear. If I make the shortcut point to an exe on the c drive it appears ok.

Any help soon would be appreciated. I have a few packages to make today and need an answer soon.

Clive
(6) Replies
Could you describe the method you used to create the shortcut?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Opened MSI in Developer, Configure the target system, Shortcuts, right clicked on the folder where I wanted the shortcut and created shortcut. Added the Target as \\curric01\netapps\app\login.exe. Seems ok but doesn't appear on target machine.

Also tried to make a property called GNVQICT_DIR and set it to \\curric01\netapps\app\login.exe but this errors saying it cant use \ " etc.

Clive
Clive, try setting your property value to \\curric01. In your shortcut target use [GNVQICT_DIR]netapps\app\login.exe. Do the above actions in the direct editor.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hey, thanks!

Set curric01 property to \\curric01 and used [curric01]\netapps etc and it works.

Complicated way of doing it. Why can'tyou add the path without going to the direct editor?

Clive
Honestly, I don't know. Perhaps someone else might be able to answer this question?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Perhaps this could go into the next release?