cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify not changing installation

Hi, I have a basic MSI project where I have three features that install different directory structures in Program Files (and an advertised shortcut in each). Each feature has it's INSTALLEVEL changed based on a Dialog screen created to set a property used in the condition of each feature. (e.g. level=0 condition=NOT QADQA="True") These statements are being evaluated correctly during installation but are not changing when Modify is being run. (using the same dialog screen from the install to change the properties). The properties have been verified that they actually change during a Modify with an additional dialog screen displaying the values but the modify does not actually perform the work. (i.e. removing the installed feature and replacing with the selected feature) Also when the modify runs, the on screen display looks like it's performing the functionality designed (runs remove files/install files/create shortcuts) but the installation state does not change.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Mike
(4) Replies
InstallLevels get evaluated by CostFinalize, which typically comes before your dialogs in the UI Sequence. Does setting the properties via commandline when calling maintenance mode have the intended effect?

If you see that that works as expected, you can try using 'AddLocal' and 'Remove' events on the 'next' button of the dialog controls to enact feature selections.
Thanks for the information. It's my first time ever working with a dialog and I didn't even think to look where the dialogs were in relation to anything in the UI sequence (other then to make them popup in the right order). Since this is my first time working with dialogs can I ask for some more information on setting the AddLocal and Remove events? As always any information provided is greatly appreciated!!

Mike
mupdike wrote:
Thanks for the information. It's my first time ever working with a dialog and I didn't even think to look where the dialogs were in relation to anything in the UI sequence (other then to make them popup in the right order). Since this is my first time working with dialogs can I ask for some more information on setting the AddLocal and Remove events? As always any information provided is greatly appreciated!!

Mike

Sure, no problem. Basically, the AddLocal and Remove events are ControlEvents that will effect the set value of the ADDLOCAL and REMOVE properties. So, you'll take your existing dialog, and go to the Behavior section, and create these ADDLOCAL and REMOVE events on the Next button of the dialog.

Since you'll want to account for situations where Maintenance mode is being run, and someone could feasibly click 'Back' on the dialog, you'll need two events for each feature selection. For example, if you have a dialog control that sets the FEATURE1 property to install Feature1, the conditions and events would be:

Condition: FEATURE1
Action: AddLocal - Feature1

Condition: NOT FEATURE1
Action: Remove - Feature1
Thank you for the information and help!! Of course wouldn't you know that as soon as the solution is given to me the customer decided to not have the UI enabled and instead to install all three of the options that were to be selected in the dialog screen.

There's 80 hours down the drain.

Thanks again,
Mike