cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify MSI - remove files and reduce size.

Hi folks.

I have an MSI package that has all files included inside the MSI file itself.
There are no uncompressed files or CABs included.
The installer file is 95MB.
I want to replace a file inside, which is about 70MB.

Whilst I can do this in Adminstudio by dragging the new file in replace of the old in the component, this leaves the original file inside the MSI executable, and gives me the new file outside the MSI package (I choose uncompressed - it MUST be uncompressed for my needs). This in turn means my complete package is 95 + 70 = 165MB in size now.

I would like to have the original file remove completely from the package.

Even if I edit the MSI, remove the component and save, the MSI package does NOT change in size - it still says 95MB even though I just deleted a 70MB file from the package.

Can anyone help me reduce the size of this package?
Using AdminStudio 9.5.

Thanks.
(2) Replies
If the application files are stored inside the msi file this means that they are packaged in one or multiple CABs which in turn get streamed into the msi file. They don't appear in the MSI database but are placed in a separate stream.

You could try a compression tool to delete the file. I know that 7zip can open msi files and CABs inside the msi, but I don't think it can delete the file.

Note that this would invalidate any digtal signature of the msi file.

Alternatively, run the msi in adminstrative install mode (/a) which will unpack all the application files and give you a smaller .msi file. You can then use this with external files.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
Thanks for the response.
I think I'll just have to leave it in this case, due to the nature of the MSI package. At least I know the situation with that now.

I don't know if I should be surprised that deleting the file reference from the component doesn't actually delete the file from the archive.