cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACE or ICE info

Hi all.
Have anybody some good links to information about writing your own ACE-files ? I have tried the sample provided with AdminStudio, but without results ?
an alternative could also be custom ICE, but the only example I have found so far on MSDN , does not really cover the things I would like to do.

for example, how to delete a shortcut or property, and create a transform with the changes in ? I would be able to that with VBScript , but think that the ACE would be far more elegant ??

Any information regarding this is very welcome !!

Preferably examples using VB / Vbscript, my knowledge about C++ is limited, close to none, to be honest 🙂
(1) Reply
That's a good question. I don't know if there's much other than what comes with the product. However, it's easy enough to put together. Essentially the custom ACE rules stem from what you can see via Orca in the .msi package.

For example, if you look at something like detecting a shortcut on the desktop the process is simple. Open an .msi (ideally with a desktop shortcut) in Orca. Go to the Shortcuts table and you can see in the Destination column there is at least one entry that is the value 'DesktopFolder.' A custom ACE automate this process.

To create a custom ACE go to the Application Manager, use Conflicts-->Rules Viewer and click New.... From there provide the values for the ACE--name (no spaces), description, etc. The important entry is the associated table. Here select csmsiShortcut--ignoring the csmsi gives you the same table that you referenced in Orca. Later in the Wizard you'll define the conflict/issue that you're looking for. In this case, checking to see if Destination="DesktopShortcut".

I'm not sure if I've helped or not, but the items that you want to create a custom ACE for you may be able to figure out on your own.

Hope that helps,