cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Has anyone had any luck configuring an application such as MS Visual Studio .NET? I've found that I'm unable to write transforms for .NET ... when I try I get back an error that I have to run setup.exe in order to install the product (same thing for Hummingbird's Exceed 7.1).

I'm attempting to use Active Directory / GPO Software Publishing, and obviously not being able to use or configure an MSI package is a bit of a problem.
(5) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Yes it would have been nice if MS followed it's own best practices. I will deploy with ZAP and use an unattended install. The good news is that you can break out the component updates into individual msi's. I tried nesting these but somehow the .net framework would always go south. I also tried to direct edit the msi to hack out the use setup.exe but could not get it to work.

You CAN run the msi directly in advertised mode /j if that will work for you.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
out of curiousity how do you break out the component updates?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
If you uncompress dotnetfx you will find a msi and the other components also have .msi (bootstrap.msi and weecom.msi) are needed for Windows XP./ Not sure about Win2k
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
You said you can run the msi in published mode /j? What's the /j flag?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
/j [u|m]Package
or

[u|m]Package /t Transform List

or

[u|m]Package /g LanguageID
Advertises a product. This option ignores any property values entered on the command line.
u - Advertise to the current user.

m - Advertise to all users of machine.

g - Language ID

t - Applies transform to advertised package.