cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install spawning new install windows

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm having problems with a package built in DevStudio. The package contains a VB6 app and uses Crystal 9 merge modules. When I install it with the /i switch it works fine. However, if I try to install it using the /jm switch it has problems. I run msiexec /jm and the icon installs onto the desktop ok, when I double-click on the icon to kick off the first use install it starts off ok, then towards the end it starts spawning 'Preparing to Install' windows then closing them. After a while it continues with the install and runs the application - which works fine. The install takes significantly more time to run when using the /jm method than the standard way.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

:confused:
(5) Replies
As a first step turn on msi logging, log the two installs and compare.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I used logging for the standard install which didn't produce any problems. I didn't know how to create a log file for the /jm option as the installation occurs when you double-click on the advertised shortcut. However, I had a look at the Application Event Viewer and found that the following error 'Detection of product failed during request for component'.

:confused:
Turn on all logging for MSI from gpedit.msc. This will create a log file for every interaction with Windows Installer. It will be written to the temp folder.

Or just do msiexec /i "mymsi.msi" /L*v "C:\loggy.log"
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Using the /L switch as part of the msiexec command doesn't work with a /jm install as it only records what happens when the shortcut is installed on the desktop. When double-clicking on the desktop icon to install the package no log file is created. I'll take a look at gpedit.msc. Thanks.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
The event log showed why it was spawning new windows. Apparently it was looking ATL Unicode which it couldn't find. After removing the entry from the MSI using Orca the install worked without spawning the new install windows.

Thanks for all the help! 🙂