cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM WebSphere Studio and large applications

Hi!

Has anyone tried to package IBM WebSphere Studio Application Developer 5.1.2? This is a huge application (and that's being nice) with over 40,000 files and coming in at about 1.4 GB. I'm getting nermous -6651, -6653, and -6271 build errors. I currently am using AdminStudio 5.5. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott M.
(3) Replies
We attempted with a previous version and learned our lesson fast.

I don't think it is meant to be repackaged either. I remember something from IBM stating that they stopped going thr MSI route for WSAD because they had issues with uninstalls, and this is going to more than one OS, including Open Source. So they wanted it in a format for all OSes.

I wouldn't try to repackage it. It is a developer tool...

Hope this helps.

Jenn
Thanks Jenn for the quick reply.

I think we've come up with a work around in that we are going to run the application from a server, thus reducing the packaging of all the application files. I still have some minor issues to hammer out such as some registry entries and short cuts. The short cuts I had to remove from the package and copy them in as link files. The registry entries are for HKCU and don't seem to apply during install. It sets up the workspace location information. The work around on this is that the customer does a repair on the application. So far that seems to work. It's not what I'd like but it works. Anyone else have any ideas on the registry entries?

Thanks,
Scott M.
Having repair fill the HKCU-hive is how Windows Installer is intented to handle those keys. Every new user will face a repair the first time the application is started, this is by design. This however requires advertising, otherwise it will not work as intended.