cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I keep the MSI package from rebooting?

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Which switch allows me to prevent the MSI package from rebooting after installation?
(17) Replies
There are MSI properties dictating behavior of rebooting. For a complete list of MSI properties, please refer to Property Reference.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm new at Installshield. Is there a command line parameter that will work with msiexec to make certain that the PC will not reboot?

Or do I have to specify a parameter in the package itself before I build the msi?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I found that the package properties can be set using Installshield Developer - I found a Rebootyesno [property and set it to "No". Is this what is required to suppress all reboots when installing?
You don't need to build those properties into your package, the properties can be specified from command line. If you have not, please look up command line options for msiexec.exe.

I am not familiar with RebootYesNo property, and please note properties are case sensitive.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I checked all of the command line parameters that can be used with msiexec and none refer to the reboot option.
You might try setting the REBOOT property to Suppress (or just S) or ReallySuppress (or just R); please see the MSI Help Library page "REBOOT Property".
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm changing the property and doing a file save but it doesn't stay - it keeps going back to "Yes" after I run developer and open the package and select property manager.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Please disregard the last post, I was not checking the correct package properties.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Do i need to build the msi again once I change any property value?
Yes, you'll need to rebuild before testing a release if you've changed any project settings.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
The property values do not actually stay. Here's what happens - I launch Developer, select project wizard and select the recent project. When the company url and contact info prompts come up, I enter my information into the fields and the system crashes with a close, debug or send report. Any suggestions here?
Instead of using the Project Wizard, perhaps add or modify the property values in the Property Manager view of the DevStudio/Developer interface? Does rebuilding the release after that work?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Yes, that worked. Thanks...
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
There is no command line parameter that will work with the msiexec tosupress reboots. The only way I have found thus far is to use the property manager in Developer.

I use AdminStudio 5.02 and using developer, I make the change under property manager by adding the Reboot key and set the value to "ReallySuppress". However, when I go back into the program, the Reboot field and the value are not found.

Thanks...RN
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Try Wininstall 2003 LE from www.ondemandsoftware.com. Edit the msi file with the software and ont he first page (general) there are a couple tabs, click the Install Modes tab and you will see the option to turn on/off rebooting. This will change it in the msi database and save it to the msi file. Be sure to get the updated msi file out of the c:\program files\ondemand\wininstall\packages\%packagename% folder.
"There is no command line parameter that will work with the msiexec to supress reboots. The only way I have found thus far is to use the property manager in Developer."

I pass this variable to msiexec.exe all the time and it works for me (and yes I've tested this on a package that does perform a reboot):

REBOOT=ReallySuppress

Bryan
You can also add this as a property to you package just like any command line option can be added to your package.

REBOOT=ReallySuppress