cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From InstallSrcipt msi to basic msi

Dear reader,

Iam trying to get rid of the InstallScript script functionality in Corel's Graphics Suite 11 and making a basic msi of it.
I read & tried the tips on appdeploy.com but they don't deliver the right thing so when AdminStudio 6 came along I was pleased to read that the repackager could detect a InstallScript and make a basic msi of it.
Well... the repackager does not detect it (running WinXp in VMware).
Using monitoring of single shot snapshot it does not come up with the screen that should say that it has seen an InstallScript... :confused:

So what now ?
Anyone with suggestions ?

reg, Henno
(11) Replies
Hi

It seems that it does not work on VMWare from shared map.

You have to run AdminStudio, choose Assistant tab and it will work.

But the problem is that application will install at your computer. The best thing would be if it works on VMWare.

Anyone solved this?

//Stefan
The failure of InstallScript MSI Detection in repackager when you run repackager remotely is a known issue. Currently, we have scheduled this issue to be fixed for AdminStudio 6.5.

As a workaround in the meantime, either run repackager from the machine AdminStudio is installed on, or you can also install the standalone version of repackager on a machine(or VMWare image) and run repackager from there. Both should correctly identify an installscript msi setup.

Hope this helps.

Mark Doeseckle
Software Quality Engineer
InstallShield Products, Macrovision Corp.
MarkJD wrote:
The failure of InstallScript MSI Detection in repackager when you run repackager remotely is a known issue. Currently, we have scheduled this issue to be fixed for AdminStudio 6.5.

As a workaround in the meantime, either run repackager from the machine AdminStudio is installed on, or you can also install the standalone version of repackager on a machine(or VMWare image) and run repackager from there. Both should correctly identify an installscript msi setup.

Hope this helps.

Mark Doeseckle

Mark, is this the 10.x version of the repackager ? It seems that searching on the site only reveals a url to the 9.x version....

reg, Henno
The version of Standalone Repackager that you'll need is the 6.0 version. You can download it from a link in the following KB article:

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q108601

Mark Doeseckle
MarkJD wrote:
The version of Standalone Repackager that you'll need is the 6.0 version. You can download it from a link in the following KB article:

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q108601

Mark Doeseckle

Mark, I was refering to the Major version, anyway thanks for the updated link, I will try it asap!

reg, Henno
OK... Just so I understand...

1. I can only do the ISSCript to Basic MSI conversion if I repackage on my AdminStudio device, or if I use VMWare.

2. I cannot do the ISSscript to Basic MSI conversion if I use Repackager remotely on a clean machine, which is our model now.

3. And I won't be able to do this with Remote Repackager UNTIL 6.5 is released.

Am I correct in saying the above statements? And if so, when will 6.5 be released?

Thank you,

Jenn
Hi All:
If the issue here is that you are not able to detect (and hence convert) ISScript based setups into basic MSI, using AdminStudio 6.0 then there is a workaround that will let you do the above:

In the folder where isrepackager.exe is located, create a INI file named isrepackager.ini.

[GENERAL]
PIDKEY=yourSerialNumber

This should allow the InstallScriptMSI install to be properly detected when running the Repackager remotely. Include the dashses in the serial number exactly as it is shown in Hep-->About

Reply back if it still is not working.

Thanks
Nice! That worked like a charm on a pesky BlackBerry package!

Thank you!!!

Do you know (or anyone else) what exactly the repackager is looking for to tell it is an Installscript-based EXE? Does it look at the setup.ini? Just wondering...

Thanks again!!!

Jenn
Hi All,

I have been unable to get the repackager to detect the setup I wish to convert as an InstallScript MSI.

I have Adminstudion 6.0 installed fully on a WinXP SP1 machine. I am trying to perform the conversion on this machine, not remotely. The setup I wish to convert is a Reuter's product and the installscript setup.exe file has a version of 7.4.262.0. The ISscript.msi runtime in the same folder has a version of 3.00.185.

I have followed the help instructions to the letter to no avail. Each time the wizard jumps straight to "Set Target Project Information and Capture Settings", skipping the "InstallScript MSI Identified Panel".

Any help would be much appreciated.

C.
Are you able to detect any other ISScript based project?

Thanks
Gogi,

I havent been able to find another Installscript msi with exaclty the same behavior as the Reuters one Im wrestling, i.e. one that won't let you run the msi directly, if you try you get '1:This installation cannot be run directly by Launching the msi package. You must run setup.exe."

I have found plenty that have a setup.exe, an msi and a and an isscript.msi. With each of these the behaviour is the same, the repackager fails the detect that this is an Installscript msi and process/convert it accordingly.

Thanks,

C.