cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Size limit

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I've been using InstallShield for a few years and am packaging some software for the US Navy. The biggest server install I've done. I repackaged Oracle 9i and the configuration. It works great with a prestaged database. The problem is I am trying to build the project with the .DBF when the files get over about 150 meg.

I get the error: ISDEV : error -6271: File I:\Oracle Files\....DBF. An error occurred building the MsiFileHash table record for this file. Verify that the file exists in the specified location.
MsiFileHash table successfully built

I downloaded MSIFiler and ran it against a test project. This cleared the error but the file was not in the test project nor did it install. Size 163 meg.

I tried loading files individually and with the dynamic file loading with the same results. I have to get this problem resolved.

Michael Stankewicz

I have files as big as 2.8 gigs I have to install. Anyone got a clue what's going on.
(6) Replies
From the information given, I presume you are building MSI across network. I have once encountered the same error while building MSI across network. Without making any change to ISM, subsequent build completed without any error. It is possible that temporary network congestion interrupts and causes the error. If the error occurs on a more regular basis, it is advised to keep everything on local machine, and build MSI to local machine.

Microsoft Windows Installer, according to File Table, allows file size up to 2,147,483,647 bytes. I haven't come across any documentation on expected behavior when file size exceeds the limit.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
This was a CD install. I have to deliver soon and am stuck! It's only the files over 150 megs. I bought the books, queried Microsoft help. The msifiler.exe gets rid of the error message but the files are not in the cab. We bought install shield and I went to the training specifically with this in mind that large files can span CD's. I tried compressing the cabs and that resulted in a whole different set of errors. (ie. last build screen picking optimal size box).

These files are way under the limit. 100 meg files work fine.

Anyone have an answer?

Michael Stankewicz
It appears that I did not get my point across.

MsiFiler.exe can be used on MSI file to populate File table and MsiFileHash table, it does not, however, stream files into MSI file. The error occurs at build time, while MSI file is being built. MsiFiler.exe can only be used after MSI file is built, hence, it is not the right tool to resolve the error.

From the error message, it indicates files captured by Repackager are located on I drive. While building MSI file, DevStudio has to access I drive for files included in ISM (which is what I meant by building MSI across network). In this setting, network congestions could have caused -6271 error, while there is nothing wrong in ISM. As I suggested in my earlier post, if the error occurs on a more regular basis due network congestions, it is advised to keep files captured and MSI built on your local machine. By doing this, we can eliminate network congestions as a possible culprit.
This is an old bug and always happens when large files are involved.

Go to releases and click on your release

somewhere near the bottom of the options is one called "Generate Hash Values". Change the value to "No"

I think that it may be fixed in InstallShield X

looeee
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
The I drive on the server is local on the raid card the other drives are scsi ultra160's. It's all on one server.

The msifiler.exe stopped the error in subsequent rebuilds of the MSI. I ran it against the msi file created in the first run. Second run no error.

Strange?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
loooeee,

You were spot on. I changed the setting and the build was complete no errors and all the large files were included.

Thankx,

Michael