cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1401 when deploying a snapshot MSI

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am consitently getting Error 1401 when trying to deploy a snapshotted legacy application that has been converted to an MSI using AdminStudio 5.0 SP1. The package is being deployed in system context and works when installed as a Domain Administrator. A partial log file reveals this:

Action start 09:05:15: PublishComponents.
Action ended 09:05:15: PublishComponents. Return value 1.
Action start 09:05:15: PublishFeatures.
Action ended 09:05:15: PublishFeatures. Return value 1.
Action start 09:05:15: PublishProduct.
Action ended 09:05:15: PublishProduct. Return value 1.
Action start 09:05:15: InstallFinalize.
Error 1401.Could not create key S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft. System error 87. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
Action ended 09:05:15: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action ended 09:05:15: INSTALL. Return value 3.
=== Logging stopped: 26/06/2003 09:05:15 ===

The MSI I think is trying to write to the HKEY_USERS SID key of the account it was snapshotted under (Local Administrator). I have stripped the MSI of HKCU entries and removed the HKEY_User component from the Component table and it still refuses to go away.

Please Help!

Ian Grimshaw,
Halifax Bank, Copley Data Centre.
(4) Replies
You need to find out first which component contains this registry key. You can view this in the Event/Application Log. Once you know you can either get rid of this compoonent or exclude this registry key before building the .msi.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks for the response, but NT4's Event log only tells me what the log file does, in almost the same exact words, any other ideas?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
In fact my MSI now has 0 registry keys, 0 files and 0 components. All it does now is use Merge Modules. I have take these out too, still the same.

This MSI happily runs now and does nothing of course with no content to install.

Within the Table Editor, the files and registry tables are empty, however the directorty table still has entries, removing these gives me directory errors when I try to run the newly compiled MSI.

Where else is there too look?

Thanks, Ian
If possible, could you attach the MSI package, so we can fully investigate the problem.