cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom msi to run a certain msi based on input from dialog box

I'm new to this so I'm not sure if this is possible or not. I want to create a msi prompt the user for input , based on that input, install a certain msi. Basically ask the user what model the hardware is, if it's this model, install this software, if it's another model install a different software. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
(5) Replies
tjohnson1
By Technical Writer
Technical Writer
You can create a Suite project in InstallShield to bundle the two installers and condition which is run based on the user's input
Sounds easy enough, but I have no experience with the product trying to fumble my way through it

Here is a link to the InstallShield help about Suite projects (https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield25helplib/installshield25helplib.htm#helplibrary/SuiteProjects.htm). Information on working with the project type can be found in the Content section on the left under "Creating Advanced UI and Suite/Advanced UI Installations"

It's probably not good practice to nest a number of msi's into one msi is it ? I'm not sure but i dont think it would be good idea or even possible to cram all this into 1 msi I have a batch file that im currently using that does the following adds 2 registry entries to set compatiblity flags so the msi's run in xpsp3 and asadmin then if the software is already installed, it kills the processes then removes the current software then removes any folders left behind then re-installs 2 msi's copies ini file over creates 2 folders and sets the permissions sets permissions on installdirs and then, have it prompt to choose which model of hardware is being installed install drivers for that model and then end
bkelly
By
Flexera Alumni

You might also consider leveraging a PowerShell or EXE Wrapper