cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Transforms Using Tuner

Hey all.

I'm fairly new at this, so please forgive me if i am asking something very simple.

Like the subject says, i would like to create a transform (mainly a Response Transform), but the MSI that is in question is actually linked somehow to an EXE. Whenever i click on the MSI to install, it tells me "This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package, you must run setup.exe" Therefore i cannot chose that MSI during the Transform Process.

However the setup.exe is just a menu that when you click on install, it launches that particular MSI. I thought that this setup.exe has an MSI embedded into it, so i tried to extract it by going to "c:\doc & Settings\\Local Settings\Temp" But there was no files with the extension MSI.

I tried doing a direct Repackage, but as you all know, it's a bad idea, and i failed poorly.

If anyone has any ideas on how i can create a "Repsonse Transform" of this particular application, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
(6) Replies
Bumping this up. No one even wants to read the issue? LOL.

Hope someone see this post, and says something.

Thanks again.
Hi,
try this:

Create a transform for the InstallScript MSI that includes the following changes:
- Add the property ISSETUPDRIVEN to the property table via the Direct Editor and give it a value of 1.
- Add a condition to the OnCheckSilentInstall custom action in the InstallExecuteSequence via the Direct Editor that will always resolve to false or remove the custom action from the sequence.
- Make any additional changes in the transform, such as populating the serial number, modifying shortcuts or feature states, depending upon your organization's needs and the features and requirements of the application.

🙂
Actually this sounds lke an Installscript MSI that uses installscript for the UI engine. You can't transform those.
Repackaging the setup.exe with AdminStudio 7 or higher (and choose IS Monitoring Mode), this should pop a dialog that will detect the Installscript setup and convert it to MSI fairly cleanly.
If the msi cannot run without going through the setup.exe, then is this not a Script MSI and should be handled accordingly?
Use the packager. :confused:
I think I understand your point.
My feeling is that I always make a Transform where it is possible because when the vendor issues a newer version of the software it is much less work to adapt the Transform than to start-over
looeee