cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Multiple Adminstudio servers to the same SCCM

It is recommended to connect more than one Adminstudio server to one SCCM server? Should they have separate repositories or can they connect to the same one? Will it update the Adminstudio on both boxes if we do that? 

Timothy Robinson
(1) Solution

Hi @terobinson 

When you say "AdminStudio server", I assume you mean the Application Catalog databases that AdminStudio uses to import packages for customization, testing, and then deployment over to ConfigMgr / SCCM, correct?

If you have multiple AdminStudio Professional or Enterprise licenses, each user that has a license on their workstation can connect to and utilize a single shared Application Catalog and any work done in this shared Application Catalog will be accessible by all users. Depending on your workflow for your IT Pros, each user could have their own separate catalog as well, that's up to you. Usually AdminStudio Enterprise users will share their Catalog across their users, as they have access to additional reporting and they can utilize the PowerShell automation on one central Application Catalog as well. 

AdminStudio can publish from one or more Application Catalogs into one (or more) ConfigMgr instance. Mostly, it's a one-way street of application packages and their related meta-data going from the AdminStudio to ConfigMgr.  AdminStudio does pull back some information from ConfigMgr, including if an application that was published from AdminStudio is still present in ConfigMgr and, if so, some current statistics on how many deployments have been successful or have failed, etc.

The Software Repository feature is optional when setting up the Application Catalog (and only available to AdminStudio Enterprise users). There are some added features like check-in/out of application similar to a code repository, but because it saves every instance of a package it can take up a significant amount of disk space. Since most of our AdminStudio customers already have an established file share where they store all of their packages while work is being done, the Software Repository option is usually skipped.

I hope this helps clarify. Let us know if you have further questions on this.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

Hi @terobinson 

When you say "AdminStudio server", I assume you mean the Application Catalog databases that AdminStudio uses to import packages for customization, testing, and then deployment over to ConfigMgr / SCCM, correct?

If you have multiple AdminStudio Professional or Enterprise licenses, each user that has a license on their workstation can connect to and utilize a single shared Application Catalog and any work done in this shared Application Catalog will be accessible by all users. Depending on your workflow for your IT Pros, each user could have their own separate catalog as well, that's up to you. Usually AdminStudio Enterprise users will share their Catalog across their users, as they have access to additional reporting and they can utilize the PowerShell automation on one central Application Catalog as well. 

AdminStudio can publish from one or more Application Catalogs into one (or more) ConfigMgr instance. Mostly, it's a one-way street of application packages and their related meta-data going from the AdminStudio to ConfigMgr.  AdminStudio does pull back some information from ConfigMgr, including if an application that was published from AdminStudio is still present in ConfigMgr and, if so, some current statistics on how many deployments have been successful or have failed, etc.

The Software Repository feature is optional when setting up the Application Catalog (and only available to AdminStudio Enterprise users). There are some added features like check-in/out of application similar to a code repository, but because it saves every instance of a package it can take up a significant amount of disk space. Since most of our AdminStudio customers already have an established file share where they store all of their packages while work is being done, the Software Repository option is usually skipped.

I hope this helps clarify. Let us know if you have further questions on this.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!