cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflict Solver - import error

I found a discussion relating the problem I'm seeing, posted here:
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=114673&highlight=product+appears+sync+database

the issue I'm having is the same. I just upgraded from Adminstudio v7 pro to Adminstudio V8 enterprise. I'm updating and importing some of the new packages we had not imported in the the catalog yet, and am seeing this error:

The data associated with the " product appears to be 'out of sync' with the database.
This node will be removed from the Products tree.

I've seen this on several applications, all which present the exact same error.
anyone have any ideas on this?

I've attacked the logs as well...
(10) Replies
Hi Shawn,

It's a bit of an educated guess, but I'd say this is the issue here:

Warning: Error creating table 'ISSQLConnection'.Make sure that you have the permissions to create the table.

To explain, in the AdminStudio catalog, each common MSI package table has a corresponding table for conflictsolver like:

csmsiFile
csmsiComponent
csmsiMedia

...and so on. Custom tables have to be created so that they represent the MSI package completely in the database, since there are people out there that use Custom Tables for things (notably, in this case, the ISSQLConnection table, which InstallShield projects use for SQL Custom Actions).

In any case, it looks like your SQL Proxy account used for the catalog doesn't have Create Table permissions, and thus after an import, the package in the database doesn't match exactly the MSI package (since there's tables missing in the database at this point).

So, I would recommend having your DBA grant some permissions for the account, and see if that helps when importing packages.
as far as permissions go, I'm the SA account, meaning there isn't anything I can't do in the database.
I've been importing new packages all day, and have only seen this on a few. I've done about 40 imports as of now, and I think 4 total have errored on me in this way. They error everytime though.

I've disconnected and reconnected several times to see if that helped, and nothing.
Well, it could be some other issue then. But I would wager that the error message is valid, and just misleading in that the 'Check Permissions' message is merely generic conjecture.

I just tried importing a package with this table, and also got this error using the SA account as well, so perhaps there's some peculiar issue in this table. I did not get the issue with it being 'Out of Sync', though. So perhaps I'm on the wrong track here.

I'll do some further checking and see what I can find out.
Ah, well, I've found the problem with the ISSQLConnection table, at least. The disconnect is that the InstallShield tables weren't designed all those years ago with the intention of importing them as a SQL Database table, so it contains a reserved keyword (database) for the column name. No fixing that one, but since I don't see the same behavior, the problem has to exist elsewhere.

Is this specific packages that you get this 'Out of Sync' message with? If so, try these steps:

1. Delete the following file:

C:\Program Files\Macrovision\AdminStudio\8.0\ConflictSolver\iscmide.log

2. Load up Application Manager and re-import the problematic package
3. post the resultant iscmide.log to this thread

Also, I'm not sure if it will be necessary or not, but if no log is generated, you might need to set the debug policy:

Generating a Debug Log for AdminStudio:
http://helpnet.macrovision.com/robo/projects/adminstudio80/ASIDETaskDebugLog.htm
Ok, I did that, and it created a log file. The file is 14 mb in size so it's zipped up...

Thank you for looking into this.
There are 4 separate packages that have errored. do you want me to create this for each one?
Not a problem.

As far as creating logs for each package, I don't think that would be strictly necessary. It looks like the issue in this log is less overt than the other one, though, so it could take some time to sort through.

I do have a question, though, if you query the cstblPackage table, what has a RowId of 115? There seems to be some references in this log that I can't quite wrap my head around what they're there for.
If i understand what your looking for, that table is the package information for each package in the application catalog. The reference on row 115 is for a package called reportsmithviewer.

does that help?
Unfortunately, that doesn't look to be related. Something of a misnomer, I suppose.

I did see lots of these sorts of entries, though:

SetLastError -2147217900: The name 'ListBox' is not permitted in this context. Only constants, expressions, or variables allowed here. Column names are not permitted.

I'm not sure what the issue is with these, since the only overt problem with the SQL Queries is that there's no encapsulating quotes. If this was the problem, there would be MANY more packages with this problem.

Do these same 4 packages import correctly into a brand new standalone catalog?
Don't know, as I have not tried.
I'll see if I can get one setup and test it.

I do have a question, though, if you query the cstblPackage table, what has a RowId of 115? There seems to be some references in this log that I can't quite wrap my head around what they're there for.

Your asking about a table in the SQL database not in the MSI right. That is what I provided to you in my answer.
Shane Mecham wrote:
Don't know, as I have not tried.
I'll see if I can get one setup and test it.

Your asking about a table in the SQL database not in the MSI right. That is what I provided to you in my answer.

Yes, sorry, I forgot to comment on that. RowId = 115 would exist in the SQL database. Since I saw references in the logfile, I had thought that it might be related somehow, but that doesn't seem to be the case.