cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
We are trying to create an installation for Microsoft Access 97 -- to be installed on Windows XP platforms. We have attempted to do this both by using the InstallMonitor to create a new package and snapshotting the system before and after installation. In each case, the new Access installation fails with a message "Unknown error 2343."

Anybody have any ideas on how to package this guy?
(6) Replies
What results do you get when you check your package for validation errors?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Are you using Lotus Notes? If so, rename the notes.ini in the windows directory (add .tmp to the end) and then install office again. Once installed rename the notes.ini file back again.

Clive
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
No, we are not using Lotus Notes and we really found no errors that were significant.

We did manage to solve the problem, though, and it might be something that should be addressed. We found 2 install script variables -- IS1 and IS3 -- that needed directory names. Even though they defaulted to C:\, Access seems to need something else. We assigned directories to them and everything is working.

Thanks for you help anyway!
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Have you tried the Microsoft Utility to repair this error?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q234435
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi , I am also repackaging MS Access 97 using IS Admin studio 5.

I had an initial error 2705 to which I applied the fix in KB Q107991.

I have got around the "Unknown error 2343" by removing some of the references to IS1 and IS3.

Now while I am logged in to my Win 2k pro machine as a user with local admin rights I can install the repackaged "Ms Access 97" with no error messages and I get a shortcut in "Start\Programs" and I can start the program with no problems.

Then I log out and log in as a standard user with no special privileges and I don't have an "MS Access" shortcut in "Start\Programs" menu. I browse to "c:\program files\microsoft office" and run "msaccess.exe" at which point I get the error message "Microsoft Access cannot start because there is no license for it on this machine".

Why does it work when I am logged in as the user with local admin rights, and not when I am logged in as the standard user?

It works ok when I don't repackage it and just do a cutom install from the office 97 cd.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I am guessing the license key may reside in the Current User setting for the Administrator or some system file that Admin only has access to. Try finding where the Access license key resides...this will help determine your resolution.