Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An unknown error occurred while compiling irp to ism

By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Can anyone tell what happened here? I am trying to convert an isp to ism. The capture was done with Install monitor

Tuesday, April 15, 2003 11:54:26AM
Starting conversion
Creating Developer project: C:\InstallShieldProjects\INTUITY Message Manager\Lucent INTUITY Message Manager.ism
Reading repackager output file
Loading registry entries
Creating components for the files captured
Mapping registry information to the Advertising tables
Mapping typelib data from registry information to the TypeLib table
Mapping COM data from registry information
Mapping Application IDs from registry information and writing to the AppId table
Mapping ProgIDs from registry information
Writing to the Class table
Mapping file extensions and MIME types from registry information to the Extension and Mime tables
Mapping shell extension verbs from registry information to the Verb table
Writing to the ProgId table
Mapping application paths from registry information
Mapping environment variables from registry information to the Environment table
Processing .INI file changes and writing to the IniFile table
Applying merge modules
An unknown error occurred
Conversion completed with 0 warning(s).
Output file:
(5) Replies
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Also my ism opened with no file or components
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
In the Repackager Application, open your project.

Under "Advanced Settings -> Package Conversion" :

Uncheck "replace files with merge modules whenever possible"

That should do it.
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks! It seems to have worked, but now I noticed that this app uses VB Runtime 6. I will have to try to use the merge module for the afterwards. Is this feature not working correctly or is this just happening to me?
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm not really sure on that one.

I've re-Packaged about 5 legacy Installer applications with the new AdminStudio 5.0 and noticed that only one presented a problem like you and I experienced with the "unknown error".

I really don't know if its the application or AdminStudio that's causing this problem.

It might be something that InstallShield should be aware of.
Thanks for highlighting the problem.

The problem is caused because the Product Name that was used for the repackaged application contained a space or a registered trade mark (or any character that is not allowed for an identifier data type in MSI). We were using the Product Name + Feature name to create a unique key for the feature table entry.

During the merge module replacement, this caused the unknown error. We have identified this problem and has been fixed for the upcoming Service Pack that will be available by the beginning of May.