cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Acrobat 4.0 Repackage Error

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have tried repackaging Adobe 4.0 using the snapshot and install monitor methods and have gotten the same error which follows when running the MSI.

Error 1402.Could not open key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\4.0.
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I have researched help articles regarding this error and have come up with no solution on trying to fix this for a Windows XP operating system. For Windows 98 and ME systems they have registry checkers which XP I have yet to find does. I am logged on as a administrator on this clean machine when repackaging the setup and still get the above error which doesn't make sense to me since the software installs fine. If anyone has any ideas on how maybe I can fix this issue it would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ryan Russell
(10) Replies
I wonder what version of Adminstudio are you using?

Get rid of the extra '\' after the HKEY_CURRENT_USER in the following reg key, rebuild the MSI and try again

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\4.0.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks for the advice praveenl, I'm using version 5.0 of admin studio with value pack 1. I'll try and rebuild the package and edit that registry path through developer and see if that works, thanks again.

Ryan
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I was able to repackage Adobe 4.0 and get it to open the program but for some reason its not installing the PDF printers which a typical install does usually? Any ideas what I could possibly do to get these pdf printers to install?

How I got the repackage to work this time was everytime before I created a msi package of adobe I ran the Setup Intent Wizard and then the Smart Scan wizard. The Smart Scan Wizard added a bunch of files each time I tried to build my MSI package and this time I omitted this wizard which seems to have fixed the problem of my MSI package not installing but creating a new problem of it not installing the pdf printers. Thanks for the advice again so far.

Ryan
What repackaging method are you using? snapshot or InstallMonitor?
You will need to reboot the machine after you install the msi to see the pdf printers installed. (assuming the repackager captured all relevant printer settings from the registry)
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm using the single step snapshot method for repackaging. I'll try to reboot after I run the MSI package on my clean machine.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I rebooted the pc, it sat there for two to three minutes when I logged in looking like it was updating but when it finally came back up the PDF Writer under printers is not installed. I'm going to try to image a clean machine once more and see if I have any luck. I'll post my results.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I installed my MSI package on the clean machine, acrobat worked fine opening but still no PDF writer in the printers. Rebooted the pc and it sat there for about five minutes doing some updating after I logged onto it and this time I got a screenshot of the error. It is a spooler error and I think its linked to why I'm not seeing the PDF writer, if anyone has experienced a similar Spooler error message before when repackaging Acrobat 4.0, and was able to get past it I would appreciate any advice because pretty much now I'm stuck at this point unless I come across a help article which so far I've had no luck in doing.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
After trying to package adobe acrobat on my own personal machine I have the admin studio installed on using the single step method I was successful in getting the Adobe PDF Writer to install after a reboot, now all I have to do is test the package through deployment through SMS, thanks for all of your help and ideas in assisting me solve this problem. This forumn is very useful and informational tool in trying to help find solutions to problems in developing and repackaging MSI packages
Thats great russrc.
Lots of customers have trouble getting the Adobe pdf printer drivers install properly. Repackaging is the complex migration process. Things get more complex on myriad environment with different configuration baselines. We try to answer questions on this forum based on experience or at least giving the direction which will eventually help narrow down the issue. It would be even nicer if you can share the steps taken to fix the issues if clean out of box MSI (without tweaking) did'nt gave you a good repackaged MSI.

BTW, I am curious if Is you are target machine is XP?

Thanks
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Well my target machine was windows XP but my machine had service pack 1a on it which kind of surprised me that the MSI package built correctly, don't know if the service pack is what did it but the main issue I had when trying to repackage the Adobe PDF driver was the spooler error.
-Tried it on three different ghost images which I thought was a clean machine because I've done repackaging on this image before.
-Also installed it just from the cd doing a format of the old image and still got a spooler error.
-Now I try it on my machine first using the multi-step snapshot method and trying to create a project which I left last night for it to finish but just ended up timing out when trying to create the registry entries.
-And today I repackaged using the single step method on my machine which by definition is no clean machine and this time it worked. (Shrugs shoulders on this one) But I'm glad it worked
-Tested the MSI package on my clean machine and when I rebooted didn't get the spooler error message and this time it installed the PDF writer so I'm glad I fixed this part of the problem.
-Now I've created a SMS package via the distribution wizard and tested it deploying it to my clean machine again via SMS and am getting windows installer command line errors.
-In general I haven't seen much documentation on different commands you can use for SMS when deploying Windows Installer Packages but repackaging is a learning experience all together and it feels good to at least have this problem underneath my belt. If you need any more information from what I did I'll do my best to provide it. Thanks again for your help.

Ryan