cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add /Remove after Major Upgrade

I packaged Winzip 9.0 to MSI, added a Major upgrade during development, this is to upgrade Winzip 8.01 to 9.0. During the development, I generated a new Package Code, Product Code and kept Product version 9.0.
Then, added a "Major Upgrade Item" with selected option on "Product sharing my Upgrade Code". Then compiled, and re-build a release to a new MSI package.

Installed old version of winzip 8.01, then I install the new Winzip 9.0 MSI that I created on top of the old version. It upgraded the whole Winzip 8.01 but the the Add/Remove listed two winzip version's , 8.01 and 9.0.
Now, both verisons of winzip are now in the Add/Remove list.

How do I get around with this by installing the new re-packaged 9.0 that will also remove Winzip 8.01 in the Add/Remove Program or after upgrade?

Thanks,
(3) Replies
If you create a log file when you deploy your major upgrade---

msiexec /i new.msi /L*v everything.log

---perhaps first look around the entries for ISSetAllUsers and FindRelatedProducts, to see if the major-upgrade process did indeed detect the earlier version...
Originally posted by RobertDickau
If you create a log file when you deploy your major upgrade---

msiexec /i new.msi /L*v everything.log

---perhaps first look around the entries for ISSetAllUsers and FindRelatedProducts, to see if the major-upgrade process did indeed detect the earlier version...

Robert,

Thank you in reading my inquiry about the Add/Remove issue.
That has been taken care off by adding the Upgrade Code of the previous MSI (winzip 8.1) to the Upgrade Table of the Direct Editor of the newly created package for Winzip 9.0 in MSI.

The only problem I am having is adding a VBscript in the MSI package of MSI as a custom action to remove legacy installed Winzip versions: 6..0, 6.3, 7.0, and 8.0.

I found a site that a site that will have the Winzip 8.0 remove by adding a Custom Action script (VBscript) .
http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/resources/scripts_sms/article.php/3084091
I am now trying to add the versions to this script to uninstall other legacy installed WinZip.

Let me know if you have any idea.

Thanks,:)
Sorry, I don't know the strings older versions of WinZip use for uninstallers, but in general you can try looking in the registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ProductName\

and reading the UninstallString value, executing it as a custom action...