cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validate credentials for discovery

Hello,

I use SNMP v2 (read-only) to discovery my firewall but the results is only have FW name and number of Interfaces. I'm waiting for 3 days but it still not showing performance data of the FW.

I'm using root account on vCenter and it's not collected performance too.

How I know exactly what're missing permissions and fix them?

Thank you

(1) Solution

Currently only the Windows and SSH modules have validation features. You can use the below web test to test the VMware API and verify the credential has the correct privileges:

Please open a web browser and enter https://x.x.x.x/mob replacing the x.x.x.x with the IP address of vCenter (or ESXi host if no vCenter is present).

A successful test will result in displaying the Managed Object page.

SNMP requires a read only string and the platform supports SNMP v1, v2c, and v3. I would recommend using an SNMP utility for testing/troubleshooting SNMP access. (As SNMP is UDP traffic, the platform will only show pass/fail and does not provide error detail as TCP connections do)

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
RCharette
By Level 9 Flexeran
Level 9 Flexeran

The virtual appliance utilizes standards-based SNMP MIBs for inventory and performance on infrastructure devices. It is expected behavior for firewalls to not show performance detail in the portal as these devices typically do not support the standards based MIBs for CPU/Memory and/or have proprietary MIBs that are not supported by the RN150.

Regarding vCenter collection, if the vCenter server is discovered and licensed, the platform should collect host/guest performance detail. (When first licensing, the platform can take up to 24 hours for performance metrics to be reflected in the portal.) If no performance detail is shown with the above requirements then there could be an issue with the vCenter reporting where the logging is turned off, or the logging level is set too high and the logging is fully utilized. Below is a link to a VMware document on logging settings:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-0439D577-66F7-4584-AF05-5EB41A761873.html

If the logging is nominal on the vCenter then I would recommend opening a support case through community so our team can further investigate.

Thanks for your reply @RCharette 

How I know exactly what're missing permissions for VMware and SNMP credentials? Does they have validate function like windows or linux credentials.

Currently only the Windows and SSH modules have validation features. You can use the below web test to test the VMware API and verify the credential has the correct privileges:

Please open a web browser and enter https://x.x.x.x/mob replacing the x.x.x.x with the IP address of vCenter (or ESXi host if no vCenter is present).

A successful test will result in displaying the Managed Object page.

SNMP requires a read only string and the platform supports SNMP v1, v2c, and v3. I would recommend using an SNMP utility for testing/troubleshooting SNMP access. (As SNMP is UDP traffic, the platform will only show pass/fail and does not provide error detail as TCP connections do)