cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to find what are the list of software which are partially removed or removed (inappropriately) and the Windows registry key still remains in the system

we identified that we have two installer evidence sources being brought into Flexera One.

We have one from the Agent and another from SCCM. The agent is bringing in MSI data (MSI — evidence left in the registry by Microsoft Installer on Windows.) and SCCM is bringing in uninstall evidence which is also MSI data from the registry.

These are the registry locations where this data is found:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Flexera Agent will be picking up the software information from the above location - How to find out what are the software installed.

For example: A software was uninstalled from the ADD/Remove Programs but not removed from Registry.

Is there any way to find out what are the list of software which are partially removed or removed (inappropriately) and the Windows registry key still remains in the system is there any separate location or keyword to find out?

(2) Replies

Following - we would like to know that as well

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

That's a difficult thing to answer in general. For example, consider a situation where a file from a piece of software is removed, and registry details associated with the software are not removed. If you wanted to try to detect that situation you would probably need to have some way of identifying all the files associated with the software that are expected to be installed, and run some process to check for any files that are not installed. But knowing what files are expected to be installed in general is an unanswerable question.

One check that could be considered is to verify whether the installation directory identified in registry entries under the ...\CurrentVersion\Uninstall keys exist. That would be feasible to do using a PowerShell or some other kind of script.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)