cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Usage" for Windows Server OS, Windows Client OS, Oracle DB shows ZERO. Why?

We are using FNMS on Prim.

Q1. The usage column for  Windows Server OS, Windows Client OS, Oracle DB shows ZERO. WHY?

The Usage settings are - 

The number of times an application was started exceeds: 0

Usage period - 3 months

Q2. Is there a list of products identified by Flexera which highlights the applications where the usage column is relevant and applications where the usage column is not relevant? 

(5) Replies

@SyedByhaqiEMT 

Q1. I think that you're partly answering the first question by the word "relevant" in the second, but you may want to elaborate on why you / your customer consider monitoring usage of operating systems being of any business value? (I'm sure you have studied the relevant documentation pages already, but for completeness please allow me to refer to licensed applications used , used on this inventory device that then also refers to Oracle options usage which is important when it comes to Oracle database options license optimization.)

Q2. In general I would consider the traditional client (desktop/laptop) applications to be the most relevant, depending on how they're being licensed obviously. Flexera's content includes file evidence marked 'Not for recognition' which is typically used for software usage tracking with its own inventory agent, but obviously the MSI standard and other options make it easier to enable and configure (Chris' blog Application usage metering using the FlexNet inventory agent is a good reference). If you / your customer are using other inventory tools the configuration of usage monitoring is done within these and the usage data collected by the inventory tools then imported and represented in ITAM / FNMS.

Thanks,

Dear @JohnSorensenDK - Thanks for your response. It does not however say why the below products would show a Zero Usage value. Could you please help me understand this specific query.  Thank you in advance!

Q1. The usage column for  Windows Server OS, Windows Client OS, Oracle DB shows ZERO. WHY?

The Usage settings are - 

The number of times an application was started exceeds: 0

Usage period - 3 months

@SyedByhaqiEMT 

I think that we will need more details, e.g., you haven't outlined which inventory tool(s) you're using to enable software usage monitoring, and how it has been configured?

I would also like to understand the underlying business reasons why your customer considers monitoring usage of operating systems and Oracle DB instances being of any business value? (They would all most likely be running as soon as the devices are powered on...)

Thanks,

Per my knowledge we use FNMS agents for inventory. And we are receiving usage information for desktop and server applications.

When customer sees a usage value of ZERO against Windows Server OS, Windows Client OS, Oracle DB they challenge that Flexera is not showing correct results. Even though we know that the OS and DB are running soon as the devices are powered on. So why ZERO usage against these?

Is it that all customers see a ZERO value against these? Do you see any usage values in maybe your lab setup too?

Thank you!

@SyedByhaqiEMT 

Flexera hasn't included content for software usage monitoring of operating systems and Oracle DB instances.

I wouldn't expect customers to have set up software usage monitoring of these either, but other forum members may have other opinions here?

Thanks,